Apple Granted Patent for Tablet Mac (w/Illustrations) [UPDATE]
TMO SCOOP - Apple Granted Patent for Tablet Mac (w/Illustrations) [UPDATE]
by , 5:10 PM EDT, May 10th, 2005
Apple Computer was granted a patent for an enigmatically titled "Electronic device" Tuesday, May 10th, 2005. Illustrations for the device clearly indicate it to be a tablet-style Macintosh, and patent filings specifically compare it to the "HP Compaq Tablet PC" and several other tablet machines.
The patent was filed on March 17th, 2004 (first broken by The Register in August, 2004 as noted in the comments), and granted by the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) as US Design Patent No. D504,899 on May 10, 2005.
New in the issued patent is an illustration (see Figure 9 below) that demonstrates and confirms that the device is a handheld device with a touch screen.
The patent application noted that, "FIG. 9 is an exemplary diagram of the use of the electronic device thereof; [the] broken lines being shown [are] for illustrative [purposes] only, and form no part of the claimed design"
It's important to note that being granted a design patent does not necessarily mean that Apple has any intention of releasing a particular product, and Apple has filed for many design patents in recent years for products that did not make it to market.
Bryan Chaffin contributed to this article.
- Mon, 7:24 PM
- Game of Thrones 'A Dance with Dragons' iBooks Enhanced Edition on Preorder
- Mon, 5:53 PM
- Returning to U.S. With iPhone? What Are Your Rights?
- Mon, 4:48 PM
- Hidden Folks is the Whimsically Fun Hidden Object Game You Need on Your iPhone and iPad
- Mon, 4:31 PM
- macOS Sierra: Delete And Reinstall 1Password To Refresh Certificate
- Mon, 4:05 PM
- TMO Background Mode: Interview with Open Source Developer & Former Apple Manager Jordan Hubbard
- Mon, 2:10 PM
- Apple's Facial Recognition Plans, the AI Race - TMO Daily Observations 2017-02-20
- Mon, 1:36 PM
- How to Mod a Porsche 911 or Other Car to Run Doom in 3 Easy Steps
- Mon, 12:01 PM
- Apple Buys RealFace, but that Doesn't Mean We're Unlocking iPhones with Our Face Yet
- Mon, 9:00 AM
- iOS 10 and Swift 3 Starter Bundle: $45
- Sun, 12:16 PM
- Don't Fear The Wi-Fi – Mac Geek Gab 645
- Sat, 3:47 AM
- Apple Answers Tweets in 4 New iPad Pro Ads
- Fri, 10:24 PM
- WWDC in San Jose Is Closer and Other Apple Insights