Merrill Lynch Ups Apple's FY06, FY07 Numbers on iPod Strength
TMO Reports - Merrill Lynch Ups Apple's FY06, FY07 Numbers on iPod Strength
by , 10:50 AM EST, January 11th, 2006
After Apple CEO Steve Jobs disclosed higher-than-expected iPod sales and fourth quarter revenues during his Macworld keynote on Tuesday, Merrill Lynch analyst Richard Farmer released a research report in which he substantially increased his expectations for the company's FY06 and FY07 revenue and EPS.
With Apple selling 14 million iPods versus the consensus of 11-12 million and raking in US$5.7 billion in revenue versus a consensus of $4.7 billion, Mr. Farmer raised his FY06 revenue and EPS estimates from $17.3 billion and $1.82 to $22.4 billion and $2.48. (The end of December actually marked the first quarter of Apple's 2006 fiscal year.)
Looking ahead to FY07, the analyst took his revenue and EPS estimates from $20 billion and $2.12 to $26.6 billion and $2.97. He noted that the vast majority of both increases stemmed from upping his FY06 iPod sales estimate from 37 million to 52 million units and his FY07 expectation from 41 million to 65 million.
Mr. Farmer also addressed Apple's transition to Intel processors, explaining that yesterday's hardware announcements put the company "an estimated 58-62% of the way through the Intel transition ... The bad news is 38-42% of the Mac platform has yet to switch, which could cause customer hesitation this year until the entire line is transitioned."
Given that concern and his expectation that iPod growth rates will start to decelerate, the analyst left his rating on the stock at "Neutral." At 10:50 AM EST on Wednesday, Apple shares were selling for $83.11, up 2.78% for the day. The company's stock leaped from the neighborhood of $76 per share to $80.86 on Tuesday, after Mr. Jobs completed his new product announcements at Macworld and disclosed the strong fourth quarter numbers.
- Mon, 7:24 PM
- Game of Thrones 'A Dance with Dragons' iBooks Enhanced Edition on Preorder
- Mon, 5:53 PM
- Returning to U.S. With iPhone? What Are Your Rights?
- Mon, 4:48 PM
- Hidden Folks is the Whimsically Fun Hidden Object Game You Need on Your iPhone and iPad
- Mon, 4:31 PM
- macOS Sierra: Delete And Reinstall 1Password To Refresh Certificate [Update]
- Mon, 4:05 PM
- TMO Background Mode: Interview with Open Source Developer & Former Apple Manager Jordan Hubbard
- Mon, 2:10 PM
- Apple's Facial Recognition Plans, the AI Race - TMO Daily Observations 2017-02-20
- Mon, 1:36 PM
- How to Mod a Porsche 911 or Other Car to Run Doom in 3 Easy Steps
- Mon, 12:01 PM
- Apple Buys RealFace, but that Doesn't Mean We're Unlocking iPhones with Our Face Yet
- Mon, 9:00 AM
- iOS 10 and Swift 3 Starter Bundle: $45
- Sun, 12:16 PM
- Don't Fear The Wi-Fi – Mac Geek Gab 645
- Sat, 3:47 AM
- Apple Answers Tweets in 4 New iPad Pro Ads
- Fri, 10:24 PM
- WWDC in San Jose Is Closer and Other Apple Insights