Skype 2.0 for Mac to Add Intel-Only Processor Features
FIRST ON TMO - Skype 2.0 for Mac to Add Intel-Only Processor Features
by , 7:00 AM EST, February 10th, 2006
Internet telephony company Skype will soon release a new version of its peer-to-peer VoIP software for the Mac with 10-way conferencing capabilities that can only be used on Apple Macs with Intel dual core processors, The Mac Observer has learned.
Version 2.0 of Skype for Mac will take advantage of the multi-tasking capabilities of Intel dual-core processors and allow a conference call to include up to ten people at the same time. The new feature can only be used with the iMac and MacBook Pro laptops, both announced in early January as the first Mac products with Intel Core Duo processors.
"The new version will be available to Skype users sometime in the second quarter," Tim Cox, a public relations representative for Skype with the firm Spark PR, told TMO. Mr. Cox said the new version will work with any Mac, but will auto-detect Macs with the Intel dual core processor to allow use of the added features.
Skype announced February 8th Skype 2.0 for Windows with the same new features for Intel dual-core processor-based PCs. The two companies are planning additional feature extensions and optimization of Skype for Intel’s dual-core processors including optimized video calling.
“Through our partnership with Intel we can ensure that Skype performs better than any other Internet calling application and drive widespread business and consumer adoption” said Henry Gomez, general manager of Skype North America, in a prepared statement.
Users with Skype’s free software can hold telephone conversations over the Internet with other Skype users, or can call from their PCs to land lines or mobile phones for an additional fee.
- Fri, 6:29 PM
- Have You Subscribed To The Mac Geek Gab Podcast Yet?
- Fri, 5:28 PM
- Last Chance for the All-Star Mac Bundle Featuring Parallels Pro
- Fri, 3:15 PM
- What's New With AirPods!
- Fri, 3:12 PM
- Future Drones Could Hunt You By Your Screams
- Fri, 3:04 PM
- Incipio Releases SureView Folio Case for iPad 10.2-Inch
- Fri, 2:15 PM
- Apple's WWDC21 Privacy Announcements in 10 Minutes
- Fri, 2:08 PM
- China iPhone 12 Shipments 12 Percent Down on iPhone X
- Fri, 2:01 PM
- Apple Music in India Getting Spatial Audio and Lossless
- Fri, 1:49 PM
- Amazon Prime Day 2021 Takes Place on June 21 and 22
- Fri, 1:46 PM
- 22 New Actions Coming to Shortcuts in iOS 15
- Fri, 1:31 PM
- How to Stop Yourself From Activating Mac Hot Corners
- Fri, 1:15 PM
- What's New in MacOS Monterey 2021