Skype 2.0 for Mac to Add Intel-Only Processor Features
FIRST ON TMO - Skype 2.0 for Mac to Add Intel-Only Processor Features
by , 7:00 AM EST, February 10th, 2006
Internet telephony company Skype will soon release a new version of its peer-to-peer VoIP software for the Mac with 10-way conferencing capabilities that can only be used on Apple Macs with Intel dual core processors, The Mac Observer has learned.
Version 2.0 of Skype for Mac will take advantage of the multi-tasking capabilities of Intel dual-core processors and allow a conference call to include up to ten people at the same time. The new feature can only be used with the iMac and MacBook Pro laptops, both announced in early January as the first Mac products with Intel Core Duo processors.
"The new version will be available to Skype users sometime in the second quarter," Tim Cox, a public relations representative for Skype with the firm Spark PR, told TMO. Mr. Cox said the new version will work with any Mac, but will auto-detect Macs with the Intel dual core processor to allow use of the added features.
Skype announced February 8th Skype 2.0 for Windows with the same new features for Intel dual-core processor-based PCs. The two companies are planning additional feature extensions and optimization of Skype for Intel’s dual-core processors including optimized video calling.
“Through our partnership with Intel we can ensure that Skype performs better than any other Internet calling application and drive widespread business and consumer adoption” said Henry Gomez, general manager of Skype North America, in a prepared statement.
Users with Skype’s free software can hold telephone conversations over the Internet with other Skype users, or can call from their PCs to land lines or mobile phones for an additional fee.
- Wed, 3:00 AM
- Our Security and Smartphone Futures - TMO Daily Observations 2022-11-30
- Tue, 6:05 PM
- Twitter Under Elon Musk Seems to Value Free Speech More Than Truth
- Tue, 4:47 PM
- Apple Unveils New Retail Store Arriving to American Dream Mall in New Jersey
- Tue, 4:37 PM
- Apple Pay to Launch in South Korea November 30
- Tue, 3:47 PM
- Apple Music Delivers New Replay Experience Featuring Highlight Reels and More
- Tue, 3:28 PM
- Eufy Says Its Security Camera Footage Is Local-Only, But Thatâ€™s Not Always True
- Tue, 2:39 PM
- Rumor Suggests Sony to Supply Apple with New Image Sensor for iPhone 15 Series
- Tue, 2:33 PM
- Foxconn Recruitment Efforts, Musk Declares War and a MĂ©lange of Other Apple Tales
- Tue, 1:51 PM
- Apple Takes Home Four Wins at BAFTA Children & Young People Awards, Including Win for 'El Deafo'
- Tue, 1:08 PM
- Apple iPhone Supplier Foxconn Offers New Incentives to Convince Old Workers to Return
- Tue, 1:00 PM
- Apple Announces 2022 App Store Awards Winners
- Tue, 3:00 AM
- Captains of Industry - TMO Daily Observations 2022-11-29