Apple Laptops take 12 Percent of the Market
TMO Reports - Apple Laptops take 12 Percent of the Market
by , 6:20 PM EDT, July 19th, 2006
The MacBook and MacBook Pro are selling well enough to push Apple's take of the U.S. portable computer market in June up to 12 percent. During Apple's second quarter earnings report, the company noted that its laptop marketshare was at 6 percent in January.
Peter Oppenheimer, Apple's chief financial officer, commented "The MacBook, which we introduced in mid-May, has been extremely well received and coupled with our very popular MacBook Pro has contributed to Apple's increased unit marketshare of portables in US retail."
That marketshare percentage may climb even higher. Apple says that it believes many creative professionals have been holding off purchasing a new Mac while waiting for an Intel-based desktop Mac and Universal Binary applications - Like Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator CS3, which should be available next spring.
Once the applications that creative pros rely on can run natively on Intel-based Macs, MacBook Pro sales are likely to ramp up even more.
The work developers have put in to migrating their application code to Universal Binary seems to be paying off. Apple noted that third-party developers have released over 2,900 Universal Binary applications so far.
"We expect that over 70 percent of the 500 applications we consider most critical to our customers will be available in Universal versions by the end of September," Mr. Oppenheimer said.
Apple's chief operating officer, Tim Cook noted that once the MacBook started shipping, there was "very robust" consumer and higher education demand. That high demand, coupled with increasing MacBook Pro sales may give Apple even more laptop marketshare in coming quarters.
- Thu, 5:01 PM
- Apple Awarding $5 million 'Innovation Grants' to Four HBCUs
- Thu, 4:40 PM
- Carrot's Idiot Maker Tried to Unbox Their Apple Design Award - It Didn't Go Well
- Thu, 4:21 PM
- Rep. Joe Morelle Introduces Right to Repair Legislation in House of Representatives
- Thu, 4:15 PM
- Netflix Takes Almost the Same Percentage of TV Usage as Apple TV+, HBO Max, Paramount+, Peacock and Discovery+ Combined
- Thu, 2:48 PM
- This Man Warned Apple About China Years Ago
- Thu, 1:44 PM
- Try Out The New Safari 15 Features With Safari Technology Preview
- Thu, 1:18 PM
- Apple Slashes Cost of AppleCare+ Plans for M1 MacBook Air and MacBook Pro
- Thu, 1:06 PM
- Thursdays with Bob: Gifts and WWDC Summary – TMO Daily Observations 2021-06-17
- Thu, 12:59 PM
- What Struck Dr. Mac at WWDC 2021...
- Thu, 12:54 PM
- Full RuneScape is Now Available for iPhone and iPad
- Thu, 12:50 PM
- 'The Shrink Next Door' Premieres on Apple TV+ November 12
- Thu, 12:43 PM
- Hyper’s New USB-C HDMI Adapter Supports 8K at 60Hz