IDC: Apple's U.S. Market Share Up to 4.8% in Q2
TMO Reports - IDC: Apple's U.S. Market Share Up to 4.8% in Q2
by , 7:15 PM EDT, July 19th, 2006
On the heels of the news that Apple's computer sales were up 12% over the year-ago period, IDC's Worldwide Quarterly PC Tracker showed on Wednesday that the company's market share in the U.S. reached 4.8% last quarter, up from 4.4% a year ago. That was good for fourth on the list of top vendors, although Apple failed to crack the top five worldwide.
Dell led the way in the U.S., growing shipments by 6.4% but losing market share, from 34.3% in the second quarter of 2005 to 34.2% last quarter. HP was number two, with 20.1% of the market this year, compared to 18.6% in 2Q05, Gateway was third with 6.5% versus 6%, and Lenovo was fifth with 4% versus 4.1%.
Overall, nearly 16 million computers were shipped last quarter in the United States, up 6.7% from the year-ago period.
Worldwide, Dell was also number one, growing its market share from 19% a year ago to 19.2% this year. HP was number two at 15.9% versus 15.4%, Lenovo was third with 7.7% versus 7.5%, Acer was fourth with 5.4% versus 4.3%, and Fujitsu/Fujitsu Siemens was firth with 3.4% versus 3.7%. Apple was part of the "Others" category, which fell from 50.1% last year to 48.5% this year.
Worldwide, all vendors were up 9.7% compared to last year, shipping 52.084 million computers compared to 47.477 million in the second quarter of 2005.
- Tue, 4:11 PM
- Apple TV+ Signs First-Look Deal with Maya Rudolph's Animal Pictures Following 'Loot' Premiere
- Tue, 3:31 PM
- Tales From the Rumor Mill: What's Next for Apple TV Including New Chip, RAM, Siri Remote and More
- Tue, 3:28 PM
- Apple Watch ECG Technology Infringes on AliveCor’s Patents, ITC Rules
- Tue, 1:51 PM
- Russia Fines Big Tech Companies Over User Data and Apple May Be Next
- Tue, 12:38 PM
- Foxconn Offers Summer Employee Bonus to Increase iPhone 14 Production
- Tue, 8:47 AM
- Rumored iPad mini 7 With 120Hz ProMotion Display Unlikely
- Tue, 7:37 AM
- Apple Creative Projects Showcases Artist Quentin Jones Creating Mantra Collages on iPad
- Tue, 7:32 AM
- Apple Shuts Down Hermit Spyware Distributed as Fake Enterprise App on iOS Devices
- Mon, 4:18 PM
- How Apple Watch Mirroring Works on iOS 16
- Mon, 3:33 PM
- Apple Suppliers Begin Shipping iPhone 14 Components
- Mon, 3:29 PM
- Tesla CarPlay Workaround Update Now Offers Support for All Tesla Models
- Mon, 2:39 PM
- Trailer for Apple TV+ San Fransisco-Thriller 'Surface' Goes Live