A Greener Apple
A Greener Apple
by , 2:15 PM EDT, May 2nd, 2007
Apple, via another public letter from Steve Jobs, has responded to the recent criticisms of Greenpeace, changed Apple's policy, and described where Apple stands with respect to toxic chemicals in the manufacturing process and the recycling of waste.
"I was surprised to learn that in many cases Apple is ahead of, or will soon be ahead of, most of its competitors in these areas. Whatever other improvements we need to make, it is certainly clear that we have failed to communicate the things that we are doing well," Mr Jobs wrote.
A rather detailed analysis of toxic chemicals used in the manufacture of Apple products with specific comparison to competitors was followed by details on Apple's recycling program.
- Removing Toxic Chemicals Apple is actually ahead of most vendors in practice.
- Recycling By 2010, Apple may be recycling significantly more than either Dell or HP as a percentage of past sales weight.
- Future Reporting Apple will provide an annual report from now on of their efforts and accomplishments.
Notably, Mr. Jobs pointed out: "All of Apple’s U.S. retail stores, which now number more than 150, take back unwanted iPods for environmentally friendly disposal free of charge. As an incentive, we even offer customers a 10% discount on a new iPod when they bring their old iPod to our stores for proper disposal."
"Today is the first time we have openly discussed our plans to become a greener Apple, "Mr. Jobs concluded. "It will not be the last."[UPDATE: this story was edited to include additional information.]
- Wed, 4:56 PM
- TMO Staff Preorders â€“ TMO Daily Observations 2021-09-15
- Wed, 3:15 PM
- Inside Project Raven, a Team of Former NSA Analysts Who Worked for the UAE Government
- Wed, 3:04 PM
- Horizen (ZEN) and Braintrust (BTRST) Now Available on Coinbase Pro
- Wed, 2:50 PM
- The iPhone 13 has Five Different 5G and LTE Configurations
- Wed, 2:33 PM
- Kodak Photo Printer App Updates With AR, Beauty Functions, Templates, and More
- Wed, 2:17 PM
- iPhone 13 Buyers: 13 Cases to Consider for Protection and Style
- Wed, 1:11 PM
- Steve Wozniak Aims to Clean Up Space
- Wed, 11:44 AM
- iPhone 13: How Much Smaller is the Notch?
- Wed, 11:25 AM
- What's Coming to Apple TV+ in Fall 2021? [Updated]
- Wed, 10:43 AM
- Apple Care+ With Theft and Loss Expanded to UK and Australia
- Wed, 10:25 AM
- 'SSID Stripping' Can Trick You Into Joining a Malicious Wi-Fi Network
- Wed, 10:18 AM
- Rewatch 'California Streaming' iPhone 13 Event