NYT: Bill Gates' Last CES Keynote Was a "Snore"
TMO at CES - NYT: Bill Gates' Last CES Keynote Was a "Snore"
by , 4:15 PM EST, January 7th, 2008
LAS VEGAS - Bill Gates, the soon to be ex-Chairman of Microsoft, had little that was interesting to say at his CES keynote on Sunday, according to the New York Times Monday. In fact, it was a "snore."
"The headline from the speech was a series of partnerships to bring some movies and television programming both to Xbox and to MSN. At best, this is more of the same," Saul Hansell reported.
Mr. Gates mentioned that his [former] company will run the 2008 Olympics Website, and its Adobe Flash competitor Silverlight will be the only way to watch Olympic video online. Those without Silverlight will be out of luck.
In addition, Mr. Gates spoke of the digital decade, an often repeated theme about how "computers will change everything," Mr. Hansell wrote. "In a world where greeting cards talk to you, and shopping carts have display screens, there isn’t a luddite left who doesn’t understand this. And to the audience of CES, it’s a monumental snore."
Later, Mr. Robbie Bach, the president of Microsoft’s entertainment and devices division, joined Mr. Gates and was able to tout a Microsoft success -- it sold 17.7 million Xbox 360 consoles in 2007.
With some other minor initiatives announced including the Tellme voice recognition telephone service, Mr. Hansel was left unimpressed and thinking that nothing new would be forthcoming from Microsoft. "...the largest software company seems to be missing the most exciting game in the world," he concluded.
- Tue, 4:11 PM
- Apple TV+ Signs First-Look Deal with Maya Rudolph's Animal Pictures Following 'Loot' Premiere
- Tue, 3:31 PM
- Tales From the Rumor Mill: What's Next for Apple TV Including New Chip, RAM, Siri Remote and More
- Tue, 3:28 PM
- Apple Watch ECG Technology Infringes on AliveCorâ€™s Patents, ITC Rules
- Tue, 1:51 PM
- Russia Fines Big Tech Companies Over User Data and Apple May Be Next
- Tue, 12:38 PM
- Foxconn Offers Summer Employee Bonus to Increase iPhone 14 Production
- Tue, 8:47 AM
- Rumored iPad mini 7 With 120Hz ProMotion Display Unlikely
- Tue, 7:37 AM
- Apple Creative Projects Showcases Artist Quentin Jones Creating Mantra Collages on iPad
- Tue, 7:32 AM
- Apple Shuts Down Hermit Spyware Distributed as Fake Enterprise App on iOS Devices
- Mon, 4:18 PM
- How Apple Watch Mirroring Works on iOS 16
- Mon, 3:33 PM
- Apple Suppliers Begin Shipping iPhone 14 Components
- Mon, 3:29 PM
- Tesla CarPlay Workaround Update Now Offers Support for All Tesla Models
- Mon, 2:39 PM
- Trailer for Apple TV+ San Fransisco-Thriller 'Surface' Goes Live