TMO at MWSF - Macworld by the Numbers
by , 3:40 PM EST, January 15th, 2008
SAN FRANCISCO - Steve Jobs, in addition to his four part keynote, spiced up the presentation with a lot of numbers that told the story of Apple's recent sales successes.
• Apple has sold 5 million copies of Leopard in three months. It was the most successful OS release in Apple's history. Mr. Jobs estimated that 19 percent of Mac users are using Leopard and 81 percent are on Tiger.
• Four million iPhones have been sold since the launch, exactly 200 days ago. That's an average of 20,000 iPhones per day. In the overall market in the U.S. for smart phones, the iPhone market share is 19.5%. That's exceeded only by RIM at 39%.
- RIM - 39%
- Apple - 19.5%
- Palm - 9.8%
- Motorola - 7.4%
- Nokia 3.1%
- All other 21.2%
These number are for the third quarter of 2007, and Apple expects the numbers to be even better for the 4th quarter.
• iTunes. Apple has sold 4 billion songs with a record breaking 20 million songs on Christmas day. There are 6 million songs in available to purchase. Apple has sold 125 million TV shows and 7 million movies. The last two numbers are more than all other sources combined.
YouTube has 50 million videos available. There are 125,000 video and audio podcasts available to iTunes.
It's likely that the sheer size of these numbers were instrumental in bringing all the Hollywood studos on board with the Apple TV, take 2.
- Tue, 2:01 PM
- Capture 4K Video and Pics without the High Resolution Price Tag
- Tue, 1:52 PM
- LinearFlux PokeCharger Portable Battery: $39.99
- Tue, 11:00 AM
- TMO Daily Observations 2016-08-23: Interview with Victor Cajiao
- Tue, 10:30 AM
- Sony XAV-AX100 Adds CarPlay to Your Car for $500
- Tue, 9:00 AM
- Not Even NSA Can Keep Software Exploits Secret
- Tue, 8:00 AM
- Avoid Endless Scrolling: How to Quickly Return to the Top of a Page in iOS
- Mon, 6:22 PM
- Apple Acquires Startup That Allows Users to Collect Their Own Health Record
- Mon, 4:39 PM
- TMO Background Mode: Interview with Electronic Frontier Foundation Executive Director Cindy Cohn
- Mon, 4:13 PM
- At CEDIA, Amazon Will Talk About Star Trek Inspiration for Voice Recognition
- Mon, 3:54 PM
- iPhone Charging Dock Station (Silver): $17.98
- Mon, 1:19 PM
- Here's the Not So Secret Roadmap for 4K UHD TV
- Mon, 11:58 AM
- The Cellphone That Assembles Itself (Video)