TMO at MWSF - Macworld by the Numbers
by , 3:40 PM EST, January 15th, 2008
SAN FRANCISCO - Steve Jobs, in addition to his four part keynote, spiced up the presentation with a lot of numbers that told the story of Apple's recent sales successes.
• Apple has sold 5 million copies of Leopard in three months. It was the most successful OS release in Apple's history. Mr. Jobs estimated that 19 percent of Mac users are using Leopard and 81 percent are on Tiger.
• Four million iPhones have been sold since the launch, exactly 200 days ago. That's an average of 20,000 iPhones per day. In the overall market in the U.S. for smart phones, the iPhone market share is 19.5%. That's exceeded only by RIM at 39%.
- RIM - 39%
- Apple - 19.5%
- Palm - 9.8%
- Motorola - 7.4%
- Nokia 3.1%
- All other 21.2%
These number are for the third quarter of 2007, and Apple expects the numbers to be even better for the 4th quarter.
• iTunes. Apple has sold 4 billion songs with a record breaking 20 million songs on Christmas day. There are 6 million songs in available to purchase. Apple has sold 125 million TV shows and 7 million movies. The last two numbers are more than all other sources combined.
YouTube has 50 million videos available. There are 125,000 video and audio podcasts available to iTunes.
It's likely that the sheer size of these numbers were instrumental in bringing all the Hollywood studos on board with the Apple TV, take 2.
- Fri, 10:59 PM
- Apple Pay Used to Buy $1M Aston Martin DB5 Luxury Car
- Fri, 10:23 PM
- Perpetrator of Friday's Internet Outage Comes Clean
- Fri, 9:35 PM
- macOS Sierra: Disable Auto-Logout if Sierra Enabled It
- Fri, 6:26 PM
- Apple Regent Street Opening Photo Gallery
- Fri, 5:59 PM
- Apple and IBM Partnership: Macs, iOS and Watson Are The Glue
- Fri, 5:05 PM
- Teens Steal $13,000 in iPhones from Natick Collection Apple Store
- Fri, 1:41 PM
- TMO Daily Observations 2016-10-21: iPhone 7 Fire, Microsoft Surface on the Rise
- Fri, 11:22 AM
- iPhone 7 Blamed for Car Fire
- Fri, 9:00 AM
- HYFY Pro 1-Year Plan: $25
- Fri, 8:00 AM
- King of the Hill Intro in Pixel Art
- Thu, 8:19 PM
- Eddy Cue Dampens Expectations for Original Apple TV Programming
- Thu, 7:33 PM
- Mad Max Available on Mac App Store and Steam