TMO Quick Tip - iCal: Auto Open Files
by , 7:30 AM EDT, June 27th, 2008
iCal's event alarms can do more than remind you not to be late to important meetings. It can also perform other tasks, like opening documents at specific times.
To automatically open a document at a specific time, do this:
- First create a new event in iCal.
- Now choose Open file from the alarm pop-up menu.
- Select other from the iCal pop-up menu and select the file you want to open.
- Don't forget to set how far before your event the file should open.
Use iCal to automatically open files.
Since iCal supports multiple alarms for an event, I typically set an audible reminder alarm to go off 15 minutes before meetings, and then set a second alarm to open my meeting notes file five minutes before the start time. That usually gives me enough time to wrap up what I was working on and review my notes before the meeting starts.
Jeff Gamet is TMO's Morning Editor and Reviews Editor. He lectures, teaches and speaks on Mac OS X and design-related topics, and is the author of The Designer's Guide to Mac OS X from Peachpit Press.
if you have tips or tricks to share, or Mac-related questions you want answered.
- Sun, 12:06 PM
- MGG 624: Sierra, APFS, Wi-Fi and Personal Servers
- Sat, 9:04 PM
- Can't Remotely Control Your HomeKit Devices? Enable iCloud Two-Factor Authentication
- Fri, 9:43 PM
- ScanSnap on Sierra Update: Fujitsu Warns of Data Loss In 'Specific Circumstances'
- Fri, 9:21 PM
- iOS 10: How to Disable (Some) Haptic Feedback on iPhone 7
- Fri, 7:36 PM
- Use the Digital Crown to Control Your Apple Watch Series 2 Screen Brightness
- Fri, 7:03 PM
- Install Secure XFINITY WiFi Profile On Your New iPhone
- Fri, 6:29 PM
- iOS 10: How to Optimize Downloaded Music Storage
- Fri, 6:01 PM
- iOS 10.0.2 Fixes Headphone Audio Controls, More
- Fri, 5:33 PM
- iOS 10: Apps are Gaining 3D Touch Widgets and They're Freakin Sweet
- Fri, 5:33 PM
- Use a Password Manager to Store Your Driver's License and Passport
- Fri, 3:48 PM
- This May be The 4K UHD Apple TV We've Been Waiting For
- Fri, 1:50 PM
- TMO Daily Observations 2016-09-23: Apple, AI, and Buying Tuplejump