TMO Quick Tip - iCal: Auto Open Files
by , 7:30 AM EDT, June 27th, 2008
iCal's event alarms can do more than remind you not to be late to important meetings. It can also perform other tasks, like opening documents at specific times.
To automatically open a document at a specific time, do this:
- First create a new event in iCal.
- Now choose Open file from the alarm pop-up menu.
- Select other from the iCal pop-up menu and select the file you want to open.
- Don't forget to set how far before your event the file should open.
Use iCal to automatically open files.
Since iCal supports multiple alarms for an event, I typically set an audible reminder alarm to go off 15 minutes before meetings, and then set a second alarm to open my meeting notes file five minutes before the start time. That usually gives me enough time to wrap up what I was working on and review my notes before the meeting starts.
Jeff Gamet is TMO's Morning Editor and Reviews Editor. He lectures, teaches and speaks on Mac OS X and design-related topics, and is the author of The Designer's Guide to Mac OS X from Peachpit Press.
if you have tips or tricks to share, or Mac-related questions you want answered.
- Mon, 3:46 PM
- TMO Background Mode: Interview with Author and Podcaster David Sparks
- Mon, 2:05 PM
- Apple Releases watchOS 3.1 with Charging Fix, Message Effects Improvements, More
- Mon, 1:51 PM
- Apple Releases macOS Sierra 10.12.1 with Improved Apple Watch Unlock, More
- Mon, 1:45 PM
- TMO Daily Observations 2016-10-24: DDOS Attacks, Internet of Things, and HomeKit Security
- Mon, 1:20 PM
- Apple Releases iOS 10.1 with Portrait Camera for iPhone 7 Plus, Replay iMessage Effects, More
- Mon, 11:32 AM
- AT&T to Buy Time Warner in $85.4B Deal
- Mon, 9:00 AM
- Shimo VPN Client for Mac: $19
- Mon, 8:00 AM
- How to Fix Apple Watch Contact Syncing Problems
- Sun, 12:04 PM
- MGG 628: Cool Stuff Found and The DNS Achilles Heel
- Fri, 10:59 PM
- Apple Pay Used to Buy $1M Aston Martin DB5 Luxury Car
- Fri, 10:23 PM
- Perpetrator of Friday's Internet Outage Comes Clean
- Fri, 9:35 PM
- macOS Sierra: Disable Auto-Logout if Sierra Enabled It