TMO Quick Tip - iCal: Auto Open Files
by , 7:30 AM EDT, June 27th, 2008
iCal's event alarms can do more than remind you not to be late to important meetings. It can also perform other tasks, like opening documents at specific times.
To automatically open a document at a specific time, do this:
- First create a new event in iCal.
- Now choose Open file from the alarm pop-up menu.
- Select other from the iCal pop-up menu and select the file you want to open.
- Don't forget to set how far before your event the file should open.
Use iCal to automatically open files.
Since iCal supports multiple alarms for an event, I typically set an audible reminder alarm to go off 15 minutes before meetings, and then set a second alarm to open my meeting notes file five minutes before the start time. That usually gives me enough time to wrap up what I was working on and review my notes before the meeting starts.
Jeff Gamet is TMO's Morning Editor and Reviews Editor. He lectures, teaches and speaks on Mac OS X and design-related topics, and is the author of The Designer's Guide to Mac OS X from Peachpit Press.
if you have tips or tricks to share, or Mac-related questions you want answered.
- Wed, 7:28 PM
- ACM 375: Google Want to be Your Ride, Tim Cook's Message Pivot
- Wed, 6:49 PM
- Is There Anything Apple Can't Do? That's Now a Problem
- Wed, 5:51 PM
- Every Apple Keynote Since 1997 at a Glance
- Wed, 5:27 PM
- The Ultimate Mac Cyber Security Bundle: $49.99
- Wed, 4:39 PM
- Judge Rejects Monster's Claims in Beats Lawsuit
- Wed, 2:00 PM
- TMO Daily Observations 2016-08-31: Monster v Beats Lawsuit Implodes, Dropbox Data Breach
- Wed, 12:47 PM
- Update your iOS 9.x Devices Now!
- Wed, 10:54 AM
- It's Official: Stranger Things Season 2 is Coming in 2017
- Wed, 10:25 AM
- Apple's iCloud gets 2TB Storage Tier Ahead of iPhone Launch
- Wed, 9:35 AM
- OS X: Use a Keyboard Shortcut for Display Mirroring
- Tue, 9:56 PM
- Idle Thoughts on Google Entering Ride-Sharing Business in San Francisco
- Tue, 7:06 PM
- iTrip Clip Makes Your Headphones Wireless Ahead of iPhone 7 Launch