PDF Now an ISO Standard
PDF Now an ISO Standard
by , 10:55 AM EDT, July 2nd, 2008
Adobe's PDF, or Portable Document Format, has moved beyond its ubiquitous status and is now also an ISO standard. The change means that government agencies and other organizations that require open formats for electronic documents can consider using the cross-platform standard for digital file storage and archiving.
Kevin Lynch, Chief Technology Officer at Adobe, commented "As governments and organizations increasingly request open formats, maintenance of the PDF specification by an external and participatory organization will help continue to drive innovation and expand the rich PDF ecosystem that has evolved over the past 15 years."
As part of the agreement to migrate PDF to an open standard, Adobe agreed to relinquish control to ISO. The standards organization will now be responsible for publishing information about the format standard, and will also be responsible for updating and developing future versions of the standard.
The new standard has been dubbed ISO 32000-1, Document management - Portable document format - Part 1: PDF 1.7, and is based on the current PDF 1.7 version.
ISO Secretary-General Alan Bryden added "As an ISO standard, we can ensure that this useful and widely popular format is easily available to all interested stakeholders. The standard will benefit both software developers and users by encouraging the propagation and dissemination of a common technology that cuts across systems and is designed for long term survival."
- Wed, 1:55 PM
- Ecobee SmartCamera Gets HomeKit Support
- Wed, 1:48 PM
- Apple and TMO Picks of 2020 – TMO Daily Observations 2020-12-02
- Wed, 11:53 AM
- Parking Service SpotHero Gets CarPlay Integration
- Wed, 10:09 AM
- New Apple MagSafe Duo Charger Now Available
- Wed, 9:55 AM
- Inside the iPhone Wi-Fi Exploit Apple Patched This Year
- Wed, 9:23 AM
- Scorecard Grade YouTube Advertisers That Target Kids
- Wed, 7:22 AM
- Zoom... Disney+... Apple Reveals its Apps of The Year For 2020
- Tue, 5:25 PM
- Salesforce Buying Slack for $27.7 Billion
- Tue, 5:17 PM
- The iPhone 12 Gets Sent to The Bottom of a Lake. Is it Water Resistant Enough Survive?
- Tue, 4:38 PM
- FITT360 Hands-Free Neckband Camera: $469.99
- Tue, 4:21 PM
- Apple Releases Pro Display XDR Calibration Tool
- Tue, 4:17 PM
- iconOS, the Website for Custom App Icons