NYT: Apple's MobileMess
NYT: Apple's MobileMess
by , 3:35 PM EDT, July 24th, 2008
Even though Apple has apologized to subscribers for the glitches in the MobileMe launch, MobileMe's problems are nowhere near over, according to David Pogue at the New York Times on Thursday.
Mr. Pogue suffered through some of the initial problems along with everyone else. However, by July 14, several days after launch, MobileMe worked as advertised.
"Well, actually, not quite 'as advertised.'," Mr. Pogue noted. "... Unfortunately, MobileMe's problems were nowhere near over."
Mr. Pogue noted that after he finished his initial review, e-mail problems cropped up that Apple said affected a mere one percent of the subscribers. That was estimated to be about 20,000 people, and it seemed like every one of them e-mailed the NYT writer.
"Maybe it wasn't such a hot idea for Apple to launch four enormously complex initiatives -- the iPhone 3G, the App Store, the iPhone 2.0 software update and MobileMe -- all on the same day," Mr. Pogue wrote. Worse, when Mr. Pogue, deluged by complaints, contacted Apple to find out what was being done to solve the problem, Apple provided only an apology.
"It's amazing that Apple doesn't recognize this situation. This is an airplane that's stuck on the runway for hours with no food or working bathroom. And the pilot doesn't come on the P.A. system to tell the customers what the problem is, what's being done to fix it, how much longer they might be stuck, and how he empathizes with their plight. Instead, he comes on once every three hours to repeat the same thing: 'We apologize for the inconvenience.'," Mr. Pogue noted with restraint.
"MobileMess, indeed," was his conclusion.
- Wed, 4:49 PM
- Apple Announces Powerful New User and Data Security Features
- Wed, 4:43 PM
- Apple Delivers New Wave of OS Release Candidates
- Wed, 3:30 PM
- French Group Files Complaint Against Apple Over Device Repairability
- Wed, 1:14 PM
- Travelin' Tim Talks TSMC
- Wed, 12:34 PM
- 'Disney Dreamlight Valley' Arrives for Apple Mac Sillicon Users
- Wed, 12:26 PM
- Two Women Sue Apple for Illegal AirTag Tracking Incidents
- Wed, 12:17 PM
- Apple Wins Patent Battle Against AliveCor Over Heart Rate Monitoring
- Wed, 11:51 AM
- Apple TV+ Lands 10 Nominations at 28th Annual Critics Choice Awards
- Wed, 3:00 AM
- Pricing Tools for Developers and Things We Didn't See Coming - TMO Daily Observations 2022-12-07
- Tue, 5:06 PM
- Apple CEO Tim Cook Says Chips Can Soon Be Stamped ‘Made in America’
- Tue, 4:49 PM
- Microsoft Looking Into 'Super App' to Directly Compete with Apple and Google in Search Engine Markets
- Tue, 4:04 PM
- Get Your Crunchyroll Anime Fix on Your Mac