NYT: Apple's MobileMess
NYT: Apple's MobileMess
by , 3:35 PM EDT, July 24th, 2008
Even though Apple has apologized to subscribers for the glitches in the MobileMe launch, MobileMe's problems are nowhere near over, according to David Pogue at the New York Times on Thursday.
Mr. Pogue suffered through some of the initial problems along with everyone else. However, by July 14, several days after launch, MobileMe worked as advertised.
"Well, actually, not quite 'as advertised.'," Mr. Pogue noted. "... Unfortunately, MobileMe's problems were nowhere near over."
Mr. Pogue noted that after he finished his initial review, e-mail problems cropped up that Apple said affected a mere one percent of the subscribers. That was estimated to be about 20,000 people, and it seemed like every one of them e-mailed the NYT writer.
"Maybe it wasn't such a hot idea for Apple to launch four enormously complex initiatives -- the iPhone 3G, the App Store, the iPhone 2.0 software update and MobileMe -- all on the same day," Mr. Pogue wrote. Worse, when Mr. Pogue, deluged by complaints, contacted Apple to find out what was being done to solve the problem, Apple provided only an apology.
"It's amazing that Apple doesn't recognize this situation. This is an airplane that's stuck on the runway for hours with no food or working bathroom. And the pilot doesn't come on the P.A. system to tell the customers what the problem is, what's being done to fix it, how much longer they might be stuck, and how he empathizes with their plight. Instead, he comes on once every three hours to repeat the same thing: 'We apologize for the inconvenience.'," Mr. Pogue noted with restraint.
"MobileMess, indeed," was his conclusion.
- Tue, 5:40 PM
- Mobile Pixels DUEX Pro Portable Dual Monitor: $177
- Tue, 4:13 PM
- iOS 14.5, iPadOS 14.5, and macOS Big Sur 11.3. watchOS 7.4 and tvOS 14.5 Available 'Next Week'
- Tue, 4:01 PM
- Spring Forward Breakdown – TMO Daily Observations 2021-04-20
- Tue, 3:45 PM
- Dissecting Apple's Loaded Spring — Mac Geek Gab 867
- Tue, 3:31 PM
- Apple Unveils New Apple TV 4K and New Siri Remote
- Tue, 3:19 PM
- Long-Rumored AirTag Launches for $29 Each
- Tue, 2:39 PM
- New iMac Brings M1, 7 Colors, and 4.5K Retina Display
- Tue, 2:29 PM
- iPad Pro Gets Liquid Retina XDR Display With M1 Chip
- Tue, 2:16 PM
- Shared Apple Card Users Can Now Build Credit Together
- Tue, 2:14 PM
- 'Ted Lasso' Season Two Coming to Apple TV+ July 23
- Tue, 1:49 PM
- Apple Unveils Podcast Subscriptions And Redesigns App
- Tue, 12:57 PM
- What iOS Changes (Might) Mean for the Advertising Industry — Media+