Apple is reminding developers that new restrictions for kids apps and HTML5 apps go into effect on March 3, 2020.
At first Apple Card was locked down from money management apps, but there’s now a middle ground: Export Apple Card data to a spreadsheet.
According to Apple’s Legal Process Guidelines, there is a lot of data that the company can provide to law enforcement.
Apple had plans to introduce end-to-end encryption for iCloud backups, but canceled it two years ago after the FBI complained.
- Gossip Factories and Other Manufacturing – TMO Daily Observations 2022-02-22
- Thursdays with Bob: (Lack of) Tech Support – TMO Daily Observations 2022-02-24
- BBEdit and Shortcuts and You – TMO Daily Observations 2022-02-21
- Security Stuff: Protecting Your Data and Staying Safe Online
- Security Friday: News and a Protection Checklist – TMO Daily Observations 2022-02-25
- Geeky Reactions to Apple's Peek Performance Event — Mac Geek Gab 918
In a long read from NYT, Kashmir Hill writes about a startup called Clearview AI that works with law enforcement on facial recognition.
You take a picture of a person, upload it and get to see public photos of that person, along with links to where those photos appeared. The system — whose backbone is a database of more than three billion images that Clearview claims to have scraped from Facebook, YouTube, Venmo and millions of other websites — goes far beyond anything ever constructed by the United States government or Silicon Valley giants.
A report from Consumer Intelligence Research Partners (CIRP) shows that the iPhone 11/Pro/Pro Max dominated sales for Q4 2019.
Apple’s original drama series Home Before Dark will premiere on April 3 and has been already renewed for a second season.
In most games and other depictions, necromancers are usually the bad guys. But in Undead Horde you get to play as one. Come to think of it, that could still make it the bad guy. Your enemy is the paladin Benevictor, who defeated you and imprisoned you in a cage. But thanks to an unlikely hero you have escaped. Slay the living, then reanimate them as your own soldiers. Upgrade your character with an endless number of weapons, armor, and magical items, and sell and trade your loot for more gear. And the best part about Undead Horde is that it’s one of those “old-fashioned” games without in-app microtransactions. No coins, gold, gems, etc. Just one purchase and you get to play. App Store: US$5.99
Violet Blue has an interesting take, that of your online activity as a social credit score. The SCC is something we usually associate with China, but we’re seeing trends suggesting America is moving toward a similar system.
Combine this with companies like Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, and yes, Airbnb deciding what legal behaviors are acceptable for service, and now we’re looking at groups of historically marginalized people being denied involvement in mainstream economic, political, cultural and social activities — at scale.
- Tripp Mickle's Book 'After Steve' Covers Apple's Rise to Trillions
- PSA: Neil Young Still on Apple Music, Amidst Joe Rogan Spotify Row [Updated]
- 'MusicMatch' for Mac Now Here, Music Services Expand
- Apple TV+: How Lavinia's Love Life Was All The Drama in 'Dickinson'
- This Decentralized Messenger Claims to be Quantum-Resistant
- 'Deliveries' App Update Supports Shortcuts on macOS Monterey
Andrew uses WordPress every day to write his articles, and he’s back with another tip to make your writing faster.