The Devil's Advocate - The Pyramid iMac [TMO Scoop]
- August 26th, 2004
Today a little something new, and old, from Apple. On August 24, 2004, the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USTPO) issued United States Patent Number D494,971 to Apple Computer, Inc. for a "Display device with a moveable assembly," which was filed on October 3, 2003. This is a division of an application first filed on November 8, 2001. Steven Jobs was the first named inventor along with Jonathan Ive and multitude of others.
This is a design patent for "[t]he ornamental design for a display device with a moveable assembly." We've seen some of the wacky iMac versions Apple considered before. There were the snake and double-hinged iMacs. This latest design combines the double-hinged design with a pyramid base:
Figures from Apple's pyramid iMac patent application
Perhaps Apple thought going with the snake neck on the pyramid would be too thematic? It's not clear what the late October 3, 2003 division filing suggests (i.e., this application was filed significantly after the "sunflower" iMac was released in January of 2002). Does it mean this is a design that's being considered for the next iMac? Doubtful. At least I hope not; it seems rather homely.
Figures from the eMac and Aluminum PowerBook patent applications
So what relevance does this pyramid filing have? Probably none. I, mostly, like this stuff just to get an idea of how wild Apple is willing to dream these days. And the good news is that they're willing to dream pretty big and wild things. In some ways, Apple is like the Wonka candy factory of the tech world. They develop designs that border on magic and inspire fun, curiosity and interest in what would otherwise be a really boring-as-all-hell industry.
is an attorney. Please don't hold that against him. This work does not necessarily reflect the views and/or opinions of The Mac Observer, any third parties, or even John for that matter. No assertions of fact are being made, but rather the reader is simply asked to consider the possibilities.
Most Recent Columns From The Devil's Advocate
- Mac UI Ain't All That: The Future & History of the User Interface - August 15th
- MacWindows: The New Trojan Wars - April 4th
- TMO Scoop: Apple Files Patent for Looking Glass - January 25th
The Devil's Advocate Archives
- Fri, 10:21 PM
- Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II Hits Mac and Linux
- Fri, 4:54 PM
- Evidence is Mounting: Apple Will Convert the Macs to ARM CPUs
- Fri, 1:38 PM
- TMO Daily Observations 2016-09-30: iPhone Lightning Headphone Adapters, Listener Comments
- Fri, 12:03 PM
- A Game of Thrones Gets Enhanced Edition Exclusive to iBooks
- Fri, 11:25 AM
- macOS Sierra: Fast Sound Settings from the Menu Bar
- Fri, 11:24 AM
- iLDOCK on Kickstarter: Lightning Port and Headphone Jack for iPhone 7
- Fri, 10:00 AM
- Get 8 Mac Utilities for Free
- Fri, 9:57 AM
- CW Shows Come to Apple TV, No Cable Subscription Required
- Thu, 9:34 PM
- Safari 10: Hide Flash from Every Website Except Some
- Thu, 6:53 PM
- Use 3D Touch in LINE to Read Messages without a Read Receipt
- Thu, 5:55 PM
- Apple Rolls iPhone 7 Commercial, "Balloons"
- Thu, 5:22 PM
- My Fantasy Wish List for Apple's October Event