Forum

HP Exploits Apple’s Mac Pro Void with New Z2 Mini  

RSS

John Martellaro
(@john-martellaro)
November 15, 2016 3:49 EST PM  

Hewlett-Packard has announced the Z2 Mini, a powerful but compact desktop computer aimed at technical and creative professionals in CAD, finances, OEM and education. With the option for an Intel Xeon quad-core E3-1200v5 (or CORE i3/i5/i7), up to 32 GB of RAM, Linux and Windows 10 support and a model with support for six displays,…

ReplyQuote
(@rick_allen)
November 15, 2016 4:32 EST PM  

Thank you John. I will be buying one to test in my office. Small and powerful is a really great combination. I really wish I could find more quad core i7 used Mac Mini's in the San Diego area. They are very hard to find, and I need a few for small server projects. I will see if I can use the Z mini instead.

ReplyQuote
geoduck
(@geoduck)
November 15, 2016 4:37 EST PM  

VERY impressive.
And with a base model starting at $700 and Linux support this would be very tempting.
And what does Apple offer?
By an amusing coincidence at the bottom of this article was an ad saying "Hey Siri, turn on the light."
That about sums it up.
HP has powerful computers that really would meet my needs.
Apple has parlour tricks.

ReplyQuote
Lee Dronick
(@sir-harry-flashman)
November 15, 2016 7:37 EST PM  

Exploits?

ReplyQuote
JustCause
(@justcause)
November 15, 2016 7:41 EST PM  

Only 32GB of RAM in a desktop, and limited ports. Especially with that Intel chip...

ReplyQuote
webjprgm
(@webjprgm)
November 15, 2016 8:06 EST PM  

How does this fit in between the MacBook / MacBook Pro and the iMac lines? This is a lot cheaper, at least at the low-end price point you mention in the article. The article makes it sound like it would be for a higher end of the market, though, which I thought would compete with the iMac. So where exactly does this fit in compared to Apple's line? Which hole is this filling?

ReplyQuote
(@rick_allen)
November 15, 2016 9:48 EST PM  

@webjprgm - It fits the role, and out does the old quad core i7 Mac mini. A true pro small workstation server with Xeon options and up to 64 gigs of ram. I loved the mini for small server jobs, and this is even better. In some ways its way more affordable than the Mac pro and has newer components. HP site has lots of information and I suggest you check it out. I would use this in a workstation or server role as all of our huge disk space is on our SAN cluster. I wish it had twin NIC interfaces and then it would be even more awesome.

ReplyQuote
Lee Dronick
(@sir-harry-flashman)
November 16, 2016 9:21 EST AM  

"So where exactly does this fit in compared to Apple’s line? Which hole is this filling?"

The hole that Apple isn't exploiting 😀

ReplyQuote
craigf
(@craigf)
November 16, 2016 1:02 EST PM  

How long will we have to wait for someone to offer instructions for installing Mac OS on this box? I can imagine a community growing around this.

ReplyQuote
(@rick_allen)
November 16, 2016 1:57 EST PM  

@craigf - It can run Linux, so it can run MacOS. The ease of doing it is what components they use in the motherboard and graphics cards. I have built several Hackintosh's and if you have the right components its easy. Otherwise you have to have help or know how to write your own kexts.

ReplyQuote
MarcusNewton
(@marcusnewton)
November 16, 2016 11:33 EST PM  

The HP Z2 Mini is the Mac Mini I have always wanted Apple to produce. Xeon processor and workstation graphics card in a mini format for a good price; my mouth is on the floor. I will definitely be pricing this out when it comes out. If it can run two 4K monitors, include a Xeon, 32GB of memory, and cost under $1,400, then I am sold.

First Microsoft releases the Surface Studio, and now HP crushes the Mac Mini. What is this world coming to?

ReplyQuote
kc2626
(@kc2626)
June 13, 2018 7:55 EST AM  

Anyone hackintosh this yet.. I just bought one.. and itching to try to convert it.

ReplyQuote
John Martellaro
(@john-martellaro)
June 13, 2018 8:24 EST PM  

Our Jeff Butts tried mightily with no luck. Seems not possible.

ReplyQuote
Share: