Notifications
Clear all

I Hope Neil Young Will Remember...That The MacBook Pro Isn't Crap  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS

archimedes
(@partner1111)
February 3, 2020 7:38 EST PM  

I tend to agree with John that in 2020 adding support for 24/192 should be very cheap. Although there are sometimes issues with inaudible high frequencies interfering with lower frequencies during D/A conversion and playback through normal amplifiers/speakers/headphones, the extra headroom of 24 bit can be audible, and the higher bandwidth might possibly help with reducing harmonic distortion for transcoding and professional mastering.

This post was modified 4 months ago 6 times by archimedes

ReplyQuote
(@quakerotis)
February 4, 2020 8:48 EST AM  

Dave, thanks for the studied response. I started on a Scully 12 track in the late 7os and use Macs these days.

Neil is wrong.

ReplyQuote
Dave Hamilton
(@davehamilton)
Admin
February 5, 2020 10:28 EST AM  

@quakerotis Thanks for saying that! And Neil is right... for Neil. My issue is when he starts spouting his (completely valid) personal opinions as facts for everyone to follow. That's where he (continually) gets my hackles up.

But as Paul Kent noted during a related discussion on our Gig Gab Podcast this week, if we want Neil Young the edgy songwriter, we necessarily have to accept that Neil Young the misguided technologist is around, too.

ReplyQuote
(@quakerotis)
February 5, 2020 12:28 EST PM  

@davehamilton

Yeah, I mean no disrespect to Neil, but he has his expertise and I have mine. If you read TapeOp Magazine in the issue before this one, https://tapeop.com/interviews/134/mark-howard/ you Cana see how convoluted our idea of what "great" sound is.

Personally, I'm tired of experts telling me what something should sound like.

Cheers

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: