Forum

Image optimization  

RSS

Hello

I use ImageOptim to optimize images before they get added to a website.

My suggestion here is to add its' features as a service for the forum. Why? For a few reasons, it optimizes images losslessly. This has two effects, faster load times, less server load. It's a total win win.

ImageOptim

Smaller file size

The above image shows the results of using ImageOptim to decrease file size for this very image which is a PNG screenshot. A 35% image reduction, however you look at it, this translates well.

So if someone here could seriously consider a post image processor to reduce image size it will have an impact on the server hosting this service and cascade down to user experience. Please consider looking into a solution, be it a script or something similar that sits there and intercepts new image uploads and does a single task, reduce file size losslessly.

Please consider it.

This topic was modified 3 months  ago 4 times by Alex Santos

We have the EWWW image optimizer in place in Wordpress here.

I think it’s important to note that the forums use the wpForo engine, so any “heavy lifting” development would best be done by them. The good news is that a lot of it has been done, either as part of the engine or with what they call “Addons”. It’s worth investigating over there.

Dave, I was wondering though, the site runs on Wordpress as per the source code. I know very little about Wordpress because I don't use it now for years but I suspect there is a database of images somewhere. Is it at all possible under the current configuration to run a script that runs those open source technologies that imageoptim relies on?

I will contact the good folks at wpForo, maybe they have a handle on that. I think it could even be good marketing for them to highlight lossless image compression.

Oh and maybe EWWW is already taking care of it as you have it installed.

This post was modified 3 months  ago by Alex Santos

USE TINYPNG OR OPTMIZILLA 

Share: