Forum

Another Lightning splitter question  

RSS

Hi, folks!

I am recently getting back into making music after many years. I suspect Mr. Hamilton might have the answer. I had a Macbook Pro that croaked. I had been using an old MAudio MIDI keyboard over USB to noodle around in Garageband and some other apps. So, not to worry, I also have a 9.7" iPad pro, with a dongle that has a lightning connector at one end, and a USB-A connector at the other. It connects, and my Synth apps work just fine on the iPad. The problem is, I can't just fiddle about for a few hours without needing to stop and plug in to a charger. Synth apps are quite resource intensive. The keyboard has it's own power adapter, so I know it's not pulling power from the iPad. My budget isn't great, so I'd like to know if I can even get a lightning splitter that will do the following. One lightning port connected to a charger, and one lightning port connected to the USB dongle, providing the MIDI connectivity. I don't care about audio through the lightning port, since I'm using headphones plugged into the 3.5mm jack.

I hope my question is clear. Thanks, and as you can guess, I'm trying to Not Get Caught.

Good question, @mark_t_johns! I think the magic answer is a powered USB hub into which you would then also plug your USB audio device. 

It's been a number of years since I've tried this, but I'm pretty sure it'll work for you.

I think. 🙂

Hmmm. I hadn't thought about that. I'll give it a try.

Thanks!

Share: