Forum

Forcing iPhone to connect to 2.4 Ghz network in an Eero meshed network  

RSS

I have a (1st gen) Eero mesh network in the house.  Everything works great, but.....

I have a short term/temporary need to connect my iPhone to the 2.4 Ghz network, but it seems to auto choose the 5 Ghz network, even with network steering shut off on the Eero's.  Is there any way to force an iPhone to choose the 2.4 Ghz network, or failing that, is there a way to shut off the 5 Ghz network (just for 10 minutes at most)?  I can't see/figure out how to do either.

Kenny in Jersey

I do not think you can.  The eero does not have a way to specify a different SSID for the 5GHz network vs the 2.4GHz network, and I do not know of any way to force the iPhone to just use 2.4GHz.

I have the 2nd gen eero and I was just looking at all the settings and did not see anything that would allow giving different SSID names to each frequency band.

1 Answer

Yeah, @datafornothinandbitsforfree is right, @kennethleenj. There's no way to tell the eero to only broadcast a 2.4GHz network (or change the name). We talked a little bit about this on @podfeet's most recent "Chit Chat Across The Pond", too. The simplest scenario might be "get far enough away from your eero that your iPhone can only see the 2.4GHz network".

Share: