Forum

Forcing iPhone to connect to 2.4 Ghz network in an Eero meshed network  

RSS

I have a (1st gen) Eero mesh network in the house.  Everything works great, but.....

I have a short term/temporary need to connect my iPhone to the 2.4 Ghz network, but it seems to auto choose the 5 Ghz network, even with network steering shut off on the Eero's.  Is there any way to force an iPhone to choose the 2.4 Ghz network, or failing that, is there a way to shut off the 5 Ghz network (just for 10 minutes at most)?  I can't see/figure out how to do either.

Kenny in Jersey

I do not think you can.  The eero does not have a way to specify a different SSID for the 5GHz network vs the 2.4GHz network, and I do not know of any way to force the iPhone to just use 2.4GHz.

I have the 2nd gen eero and I was just looking at all the settings and did not see anything that would allow giving different SSID names to each frequency band.

2 Answers

Yeah, @datafornothinandbitsforfree is right, @kennethleenj. There's no way to tell the eero to only broadcast a 2.4GHz network (or change the name). We talked a little bit about this on @podfeet's most recent "Chit Chat Across The Pond", too. The simplest scenario might be "get far enough away from your eero that your iPhone can only see the 2.4GHz network".

THE ANSWER: Create a name for a new "Guest Access" network account in your eero settings and you can choose it to use 5G or 2.4Ghz.. The Main eero network is on 2.4ghz (but it does uses sub 2.4 and 5 ghz channels).

@jo3

I have an existing Guest Access setup on my eero, but when I view it, I do not see anyway to specify a 2.4GHz or 5GHz.

Do you have to start from having NO Guest Access, or when you say "new" Guest Access, there is a way to have a 2nd Guest Access.

Share: