Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Shortcut for Notification setting?

RSS

Topic starter

I have some Nest outside cameras that send me sound notifications when someone or some animal is approching the house. This is very helpful in letting me know, when a stray cat that we feed is around. I really don’t want these sound notifications overnight when I’m  sleeping. So I have to remember every night on my iPhone to open up Settings/Notifications/Nest and turn off the sound switch and in the morning remember to turn it back on.  I have used the scheduled Do Not Disturb, which would do it automatically. The problem there is that there are some notifcations, such as job ones, that I need to hear as early as 5:30 a.m. which is not a time that I want hear that a moth has flown by the camera. 

So in IOS 12, where we can create shortcuts, is there a shortcut that can be created that either simply turns Nest/Notifications on or off with a Siri Command. Or can one be made that will autmatically open up Settings/Notifications/Nest. So that I can just flip the sound switch on and off without having to scroll through all my Notification Apps to get to Nest?

2 Answers

Hi, I haven’t tried this, but does IFTTT provide a solution? 

‘Get a mobile notification when your Nest detects motion‘

The NEST app works like that on it’s own. It’s just the sound setting withing Nest’s Notification setting that I was looking for a quicker way to get to so I can turn it on or off. Dave’s idea of saying, “Hey Siri, Open up Nest settings” gets me close enough to where it’s easy to make the switch.

Great question, @hdh15!

I don't think Shortcuts can be set to do this, but I'm actually hoping I'm wrong. 🙂 Aside from that, you can say, "Hey Siri, Open Nest Settings" and that will bring you right to the Nest settings screen, where Notifications are just one tap away. 

I did try "Hey, Siri, turn off Nest Notifications" but, as you can see, that didn't quite get there.

That would work for me. Now I just have to remember to do it. Thanks.

Share: