Forum

Shortcut for Notification setting?  

RSS

I have some Nest outside cameras that send me sound notifications when someone or some animal is approching the house. This is very helpful in letting me know, when a stray cat that we feed is around. I really don’t want these sound notifications overnight when I’m  sleeping. So I have to remember every night on my iPhone to open up Settings/Notifications/Nest and turn off the sound switch and in the morning remember to turn it back on.  I have used the scheduled Do Not Disturb, which would do it automatically. The problem there is that there are some notifcations, such as job ones, that I need to hear as early as 5:30 a.m. which is not a time that I want hear that a moth has flown by the camera. 

So in IOS 12, where we can create shortcuts, is there a shortcut that can be created that either simply turns Nest/Notifications on or off with a Siri Command. Or can one be made that will autmatically open up Settings/Notifications/Nest. So that I can just flip the sound switch on and off without having to scroll through all my Notification Apps to get to Nest?

This topic was modified 4 weeks ago by hdh15
This topic was modified 2 weeks ago by Dave Hamilton

Great question, @hdh15!

I don't think Shortcuts can be set to do this, but I'm actually hoping I'm wrong. 🙂 Aside from that, you can say, "Hey Siri, Open Nest Settings" and that will bring you right to the Nest settings screen, where Notifications are just one tap away. 

Nest Settings View

I did try "Hey, Siri, turn off Nest Notifications" but, as you can see, that didn't quite get there.

Siri Nest Notification Settings

That would work for me. Now I just have to remember to do it. Thanks.

Hi, I haven’t tried this, but does IFTTT provide a solution? 

‘Get a mobile notification when your Nest detects motion‘

The NEST app works like that on it’s own. It’s just the sound setting withing Nest’s Notification setting that I was looking for a quicker way to get to so I can turn it on or off. Dave’s idea of saying, “Hey Siri, Open up Nest settings” gets me close enough to where it’s easy to make the switch.

Share: