Forum

touchscreen unresponsiveness iOS 12.1.1  

RSS

Hello, 

i have an iPhone X and it has been running iOS 12.0 for quite some time. Overall I have been pretty happy with iOS 12. I’ve even installed it on my iPhone 5s, and noticed improved performance.

This past week I finally upgraded to from iOS 12.0 to iOS 12.1.1

Now , I have noticed several occasions where an upward swipe to leave an app and get to the home screen doesn’t work, and the only way to close the app is to shut down and restart the phone.  (Reminds me of having to reboot windows ARGH!!!)

I also noticed on one occasion  in the mail app the swipe Left to Right and vice versa functions would not respond, and the only way to  get rid of this behavior was a power cycle. In this case, the virtual home swipe up worked, and I could leave the mail app. But even if I closed the mail app using the app switcher, when I opened the mail app again it was still stuck, with out the ability to swipe on the mail app to delete a mail or swipe the other way to mark it as read. The only way to fix that issue was a hard reboot.

there have also been a few other instances some random app buttons wouldn’t respond, and a power cycle was needed to fix the unresponsive button.  

Has anyone seen this kind behavior on their device. It’s especially nasty when the home swipe no longer responds because the entire phone appears stuck in the app.

i read that some iPhone X screens had manufacturing issues, and there is a repair program. Could this display be one of the defective ones? I 

i have had this phone for a year, and I have never seen this since upgrading to iOS 12.1.1  , so it seems more like a software issue that hardware  

thanks in advance 

This topic was modified 1 month ago 3 times by fishgeek

I haven’t experienced anything like this on any of my iOS12 devices, incluing an iPhone X and a XR. 

At first I started thinking maybe it was just slow to respond after the update because it was rebuilding previously-cached data, etc. And I suppose that could have been the case... by now, though, it would be finished with that.

Have you tried shutting the phone down and restarting it yet? I know that’s one of those “obvious” things to try, but it does sometimes work to solve odd issues like that.

Hi Dave

shutting down the phone has been the ONLY way to get out of some of the scenarios mentioned. So yes, I’ve power cycled. At the moment I’ve gone several days without any of the symptoms.  I’m trying to remember if I observed the unresponsive app buttons and home swipe just after I upgraded or a day or two after. Your theory about reindexing is a good theory. Although I have noticed a slower than normal response getting into the settings app  - a white screen for several seconds before all the settings options are displayed  I’ve seen this on BOTH the iPhone X and a brand new iPad Pro 10.5”  running iOS 12.1.1

For now I’m watching for any more flacky behavior. I did take  a video of it happening in case I need to show Apple using my iPad to film my iPhone X. If it happens again I’ll call Apple care. And I’ll keep everyone posted if I learn anything. 

Hi Dave

shutting down the phone has been the ONLY way to get out of some of the scenarios mentioned. So yes, I’ve power cycled. At the moment I’ve gone several days without any of the symptoms.  I’m trying to remember if I observed the unresponsive app buttons and home swipe just after I upgraded or a day or two after. Your theory about reindexing is a good theory. Although I have noticed a slower than normal response getting into the settings app 

According to the touch screen issues happened in the past iOS 10 and the feedback from iOS 11 users, here are the touch screen issues you may meet after updating to iOS 12.

• iPhone 7/6s/6/5s/5 or iPad iPod touch’s touch screen not working after iOS update
  • Unresponsive touch screen on incoming calls
  • Touch screen stops responding to touches and wipes

1. Press down the Volume Up button and release
  2. Press down the Volume Down button and release
  3. Hold down the side Power / Lock button until you see the  Apple logo appear on screen, this can take about 10 seconds or so
  4. Once you see the  Apple logo on the display, release the Power button and the device will boot up as usual

Once the iPhone X boots back up, the screen should instantly work as you’d expect it to. All touch should be immediately recognized, and touch gestures and swipes should be recognized fluidly as usual.

Share: