Forum

Yet another Family Sharing question  

RSS

I know MGG has discussed Family Sharing conundrums in the past, but here's a new one. Say my child has been on my Family Sharing for several years. Now they're ready to go off on their own so they set up a new iCloud/iTunes account and re-download/re-purchase all their apps. 

What about their data? Will re-purchasing require deleting the old app first? If so, will they lose their data? Or does Apple have a way to break off a family member into an independent account that lets them continue on without any data loss?

When I moved my kids into family sharing they didn’t lose data from apps they already had so I assume the reverse would be true,

You could test it by setting up a new account to add to family .

When you leave family sharing you loose access to apps etc bought by other members of family  https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201081

So, the issue is, how does Apple hanfdle this? As stated previulsy I think it’s worth testing on a dummy account first.

Oh, huh. That has changed. I think. I would’ve sworn they initially said that anything you downloaded from other members’ shared purchased would remain as part of your account when you left. 

@sbedford is right about this. You should be able to just remove that child-now-adult's account from your family share and they'll be on their own, retaining full access to all the apps they've previously downloaded as part of the family.

Anyone tested this yet?

the terns appear to have changed

”Family Member changes: When a Family member leaves or is removed from the Family, the remaining Family members may no longer be able to access the former member’s Content, including Content acquired with the Organiser’s payment method.”

Looks like the member leaving family still has access to stuff bought by family but not other way round.

”Family Member changes: When a Family member leaves or is removed from the Family, the remaining Family members may no longer be able to access the former member’s Content, including Content acquired with the Organiser’s payment method.”

I wonder if this would hold true for those things that are "bought" by other members of the family for free?

If you and I are family members, I can go into your "Purchased" section and download (most/all) apps without having to pay. But once I do that, then that particular app is also listed in my purchases... so I'm curious what happens to that app when someone leaves the family.

Unfortunately my family is at the 6-person limit, so I can't add one to test! 🙂 

@Dave, don't you have your daughter that just left home for college? 😉 kick her out and see!

@Dave, don't you have your daughter that just left home for college? 😉 kick her out and see!

Haha. Yeah, I'm sure I'd learn something by doing that!

Share: