Forum

2015 MacBook Pro w/water damage  

RSS

I have a 2015 MacBook Pro with water damage that fried the motherboard (or so the Genius Bar has told me). Of course it was the first time I did not purchase AppleCare for a portable machine. My question is: what do I do with it other than recycle it?  Is it worth having the SSD removed and put into an enclosure?  Is it worth selling for parts? Would a local authorized service provider want to even buy it for parts?

It’s been about a year and a half since the damage was done.  The repair cost was about $1500...not worth it IMHO...since I can get a refurb for less than that (which is what I did)  

All ideas/comments welcome!  Thanks for your ideas and feedback.

You could start with a Google search for "Sell my Macbook Pro" and see if you can find a few websites that will give you an estimated price for a water damaged Mac.

Then go to someplace like MacSales.com (OWC) and see how much an SSD enclosure for your specify Macbook Pro would cost.  Now compare that against just buying an SSD of the same size.  And ask yourself if you really need an external SSD or the money you would get from selling your Macbook Pro for parts.

Share: