Forum

Cannot access Amazon.com ; only Amazon.com  

RSS

This is a very odd problem and I am just sort of at my wit’s end on it.   

My wife has a MacBook Air, prior version - with Magsafe connector.   It has been updated to Catalina (this afternoon) and that has made no difference at all.

She usually uses Safari for web access.

The only website she is unable to access is Amazon.com and I swear I did not block it.

She can access anything else she wants to, including Amazon.ca , the only site she cannot access is Amazon.com.

We have cleared caches, cleared cookies, restarted the machine, zapped PRAM, none of it has made a difference.

We downloaded Firefox to her machine to try and access Amazon.com - still does not work.

I don’t think it is life critical except that it is now getting her attention, and therefore mine.  So it is becoming more important to try and solve it.

Anyone ever seen anything like this?  Any ideas on how to try and solve it? Open to any and all ideas.

Thanks.

@jim-gilchrist

Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal
sudo killall -HUP mDNSResponder
suppose to flush the DNS cache.
What is your DNS server?
From a Terminal session can you lookup Amazon.com
nslookup amazon.com
This is what I get:
nslookup amazon.com
Server: 208.67.222.222
Address: 208.67.222.222#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: amazon.com
Address: 205.251.242.103
Address: 176.32.98.166
Address: 176.32.103.205
Can you try accessing Amazon via one of the IP addresses shown above?
All of the above are just experiments.
You might also try running EtreCheck.com and looking to see if you have any odd netwrok extensions, or odd launch agents or daemons.
https://itunes.apple.com/app/etrecheck/id1423715984?ls=1&mt=12

@jim-gilchrist

Oh yea. Also try
Quit Safari
Hold the "Shift" key and Launch Safari
This should explicitly clear the Safari caches

So, thank you for the quick responses.

I tried all of those suggestions - absolutely no difference. Still cannot access that 1 particular website.

I had not tried the direct access by web address and was hopeful, however, it just stalled out there.

I even ran First Aid and Diagnostics for good measure - all to no avail.

It is a very odd thing which is isn’t affecting me at all except for the fact that it is my wife’s machine - so ......

5 Answers

Are there any unusual Safari extensions installed? You could try turning off all extensions. (Safari Preferences -> Extensions).  It could be that something like Ghostery or uBlock got corrupted and though Amazon was an evil site (hmm...maybe it is!)

Also: try a different user account on the same machine...and/or safe boot (press shift during starttup).

check to see that there's nothing funny in her /etc/hosts file.

So, after all of the suggestions here (Thank you) the website is loading again this morning.

The message I was getting was the “Server stopped responding”, which seemed very odd when only happening on 1 website.  Anyway, I have now trashed all of my wife’s Favourites, and she has to sign into everything anew, so even though she now has access - I’m in the doghouse again!

Thanks again everyone.

And .... it has now stopped again!

The only website she ever goes to that will not load.  Oh well, she has an appointment at he Genius Bar this afternoon.  I am positive they will know immediately how to fix it.

@jim-gilchrist

😀😀😀

Have you tried alternate browsers? Also try going to System Preferences > Network > Wi-Fi (or Ethernet if you use that) > Advanced... > DNS and remove everything you possibly can from the lists here. Some stuff will remain in grey, that's fine. But remove everything else.

I've seen several folks recently with this kind of issue, and they each had rogue DNS servers here. 

@davehamilton

The corollary to what Dave said about DNS is to force set a DNS server, such as:
1.1.1.1 (Cloudflare)
8.8.8.8 (Google)
208.67.222.222 (OpenDNS)
Pick just 1, as the first in a list of DNS servers is used 99.9999999% of the time unless it fails, and these are unlikely to fail.
Besides this is an experiment

Share: