Forum

[Solved] Cannot update macbook to 10.14.3  

RSS

I checked for the update using the system preferences pane, but didn't get the update, so.....I downloaded the combo updater.    I started the update, but then got notification that my hard drive didn't "meet the requirements" for the update.  See attached screenshot.

Current scenario:

Macbook pro circa late 2013.  HD is 500 GB, of which 378 GB is available.  16 GB of RAM, currently running Mac OS 10.14.2

Any ideas why the combo updater is giving me grief?  TIA.

Kenny in Jersey

10 Answers

My initial thought up on reading @kennethleenj's initial post was, "is the drive still somehow HFS+, and the combo updater is looking for APFS"... not sure there's anything to that, of course, but figured I'd share. Otherwise, yeah, a very weird error message.

Good guess, but nope!  Both machines were converted to APFS.

Cheers

Kenny in Jersey

In my case, all three Macs I use with Mojave have been converted to APFS, one had been APFS since High Sierra (SSD). The other two, a Fusion iMac & a HDD iMac didn't get APFS until the first instance of Mojave.

The Combo is broken.

Shamelessly stolen from somewhere else

"There is an error in the distribution file, as part of the installation the distribution file runs a number of checks to determine if the update can be installed. One of these is the Volume check, so it checks the build number of your install of MacOS Mojave.

In the distribution file there is a list or array of the previous builds of the OS. The array in this Combo is very short so quite a few build numbers are missing and therefore the error is generated.

You could expand the 10.14.3Combo.pkg, using pkgutil in Terminal, edit the distribution file to include the build number of your install of Mojave, then use pkgutil to revert the expanded folder to a new .pkg and it should install. I did and it was successful"

I always use the Combo but I wasn't happy with trying what's suggested above.  The reason given may or may not be true.

However....

What I have found is that if you use the delta update to do the upgrade to 10.14.3, you can then use the Combo to install over the top.  This works perfectly and is what I've done.

This post was modified 6 months ago 2 times by Feek

Is it possible that Apple is building a date/time/eligibility check into the combo updater such that if your location is not yet eligible for normal software update then the combo updater triggers the same "you're not yet eligible"?

Would be interesting to know if the same combo updater file (not a new download) would now run OK. 

As plausible an explanation as I've heard.  I'll see if I can dig anything up.

I had been informed on another forum that if I wanted to update using the Software Update process that initially the 10.14.3 update would not be there but if I waited a few minutes it would show up. This proved to be the case. My normal approach is to use the Combo updater as I have/administer three eligible Macs and can get away with one download.

I have been using combo updaters for as long as they've been available, this was the first time I had been confronted with a message that my drive didn't "meet the requirements" for the update.

The Mac concerned is a 2017 4k iMac with a 1 TB Fusion Drive.

So I downloaded the Delta updater & it worked fine. The other two Macs, a 2017 non-Touchbar 13-in MacBook Pro and a 2015 21.5" iMac also updated to the new OS without difficulty.

The answer to the question "Is it possible that Apple is building a date/time/eligibility check into the combo updater such that if your location is not yet eligible for normal software update then the combo updater triggers the same "you're not yet eligible"?" would be no, as all three options (Software Update, Delta Updater & Combo Updater) were available concurrently.

That last fact should have raised alarm bells, normally it's several hours or up to ½ a day before the Combo Updaters become available.

Yes I got the same message this morning with a Macbook Pro 2016. Weird.

Well, adding to the weirdness, I couldn't automatically download the update on my iMac either, nor could I install from the combo updater.  I just said "to heck with it" and waited, hoping for an answer here.

Then, without doing anything, the updates rolled in on "software update" in preference panels on both machines.  It installed just fine.  Both machines now up and running 10.14.3.

I guess there might have been something wrong with the combo updater file.

Looks like I stumbled over a goof on the part of Apple.  No harm, no foul.  Was able to update through the preference panel.

Looks like I stumbled over a goof on the part of Apple.  No harm, no foul.  Was able to update through the preference panel.

Share: