Forum

Contacts in Mac not syncing to iCloud properly  

RSS

My MacBook Pro's Contacts are not syncing properly. The data on my iPhone and iPads and iCloud are all in sync and I can add, delete, or edit and the changes appear properly. But only some of those edits appear on my MacBook Pro. The number of contacts on the MacBook Pro is 789, a Mac Mini that I only use as a server shows 773, and everything else is 772.

I've tried turning off Contacts sync on my Mac and then turning it on again; that doesn't fix it. My Mac shows all of my contacts are in iCloud (not "On My Mac").

My next impulse is to delete all of the MacBook Pro's contacts data. Is this the right step? If so, how do I do this in High Sierra?

My next thought is to delete all the Mac data and let it pull down a fresh copy from iCloud.

Circling back here... yeah, this is something I’ve seen before. Before you blow away everything try logging completely out of iCloud and back in. That often (but not always) deletes the local cache files that can cause this problem.

There are actually 3 copies of your data: the one that Contacts on your Mac uses, the one on iCloud, and one in between that your Mac uses to merge and sync and manage duplicates. When that middle one gets in the way, you can have problems. Blowing that away and starting fresh can solve 'em!

Logging out of iCloud, I chose to leave the contents on my Mac. After things settled down, I then logged in again. That left me with two copies in Contacts, but after removing the "on my Mac" entries, I think everything in Contacts everywhere is now in sync. Thanks!

I did have the "AppleSpell" process running out of control (well over 100% and gobbling RAM, spinning up my fans) afterwards. I rebooted and all seems OK for now. Well, Photos is still going through my library, but its various processes are hovering around 50% and I can live with that.

That left me with two copies in Contacts, but after removing the "on my Mac" entries, I think everything in Contacts everywhere is now in sync. Thanks!

Apple has an article on Contact duplicates: 
If you see duplicate contacts after setting up iCloud Contacts

For your initial issue, which is now resolved:

Get help using iCloud Contacts, Calendars, or Reminders
Learn what to do if you need help. For example, the changes that you made on one device didn't appear on all of your devices.

I am glad your issue is now resolved margaretamartin but for anyone else who stumbles here looking for help, the two Apple Support articles noted above could be of additional value beyond what Dave has recommended.

I'd definitely recommend trying what Apple suggests in its support documents first! Thanks for posting the links. They're less destructive and time-consuming. However, they didn't solve the problem for me.

Share: