Forum

Cox email discontinuing SSL?  

RSS

I'm noticing here that Cox cable will be discontinuing "SSL" as of tomorrow when connecting to their email servers   https://www.cox.com/residential/support/imap-server-settings.html

Aside from the reasons for not using an internet providers' mail service, to interpret this move: Cox is saying "hey if you want use our email service, we no longer support secure connections to our incoming and outgoing servers.  We're tired of troubleshooting your email settings. We do have webmail so you can use that if you want security." Fair to say?

Asking for those people using a @cox.net not myself.

Are you sure they are also discontinuing TLS as well? Technically the SSL name and versions have been replaced by the TLS name and versions.

Did they mention TLS at all in their communication?

Hope this helps me! Thanks for the info brother.

Topic Tags
3 Answers

No mention of TLS.  All I know is in the blurb at the top of the Cox webpage of the link I included.  As far as I know, they haven't sent an email warning their customers, so that's all the warning you get   Seems that tomorrow will be busy for Applecare and Cox fielding "my email has stopped" questions (and probably a flood of new Gmail accounts created).

Interesting. The instructions below still mention SSL and TLS along with the standard SSL and TLS secure ports.

But the notice looks like it might have been added to the existing setup page, but does not clarify how to configure the email client in the environment.

I guess you will find out tomorrow if you have a secure connection or not.

Does your Cox mail still work today, or did you need to change your configuration?

Cox mail now not working on iPhone or Mac computer...wtf

What I've noticed after Cox's deadline is that:

- those people who had "auto manage settings" checked, had no problems

- those people who manually entered their email settings, had no problems

So, thank you Cox for a non-event.

However, they guy who I was helping whose Cox email stopped working -- his problem was that he was still using the full email address as his Username.  Apparently, you are now supposed to use just your Cox name before the @.

This post was modified 8 months ago by appleseed

All I know is in the blurb at the top of the Cox webpage of the link I included.  As far as I know, they haven't sent an email warning their customers, so that's all the warning you get   Seems that tomorrow will be busy for Applecare and Cox fielding "my email has stopped" questions (and probably a flood of new Gmail accounts created).

This post was modified 7 months ago by Edward647
Share: