Forum

Notifications
Clear all

eject remote disk issue

RSS

Topic starter

When I mount a remote Home folder on my new M! Air I get this message and it will not eject

an ex

This is new since I got the new MacBook Air.  The remote Mac is an Intel Mac Mini.  Both system"s OS are up to date.

If I relaunch Finder I can eject the disk.  If I wait about an hour without using the disk  I can eject the disk

8 Answers

Do you have

Finder -> View -> Show View Options -> Calculate All Sizes

enabled for that folder?

That could keep the Finder busy for an extended period of time, and each time you mount the volume, the Finder does not know what changed, so it would have to calculate the sizes all over again.

Interestingly there is no Calculate All Sizes check box on the folder but there is a checked one on all the local folders. When I look at the remote Home folder on the remote machine there is a Calculate All Sizes checked for that folder. When I open the remote disk not all the folders in it have sizes. I am not sure what this means.

Most likely spotlight is indexing the contents. Once spotlight is done, it will let you eject the disk. 

if you expect to mount/dismount this disk rapidly on a frequent basis, you can add it to the spotlight ignore list in system preferences.   

Thank you for the suggestion. I saw this in my searches about this problem earlier and put the disk on the Spotlight "Do not index list". I just checked the list and it was empty but when I mounted the remote disk it showed up on the list suddenly. Is there a way to tell if the remote disk is being indexed?

Topic starter

I thought that I might eject the disk using Disk Utility But it does not see the disk:

Why not find out what is actually using the remote volume.  From an Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal session, try the following command:

/bin/ls /Volumes
sudo lsof "/Volumes/remote-volume-name-from-above-ls-command"
Password: your macOS account password.  Nothing will echo, but every character you type will be seent until you press the return key.

This is what I get:

Johns-MacBook-Air:~ johnangermayer$ /bin/ls /Volumes
Macintosh HD johnangermayer
Johns-MacBook-Air:~ johnangermayer$ sudo lsof "/Volumes/johnangermayer"
Password:
COMMAND PID USER FD TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
mds 101 root 22r DIR 51,227 16384 2 /Volumes/johnangermayer
Johns-MacBook-Air:~ johnangermayer$

Topic starter

Here is some information from Terminal;

Johns-MacBook-Air:~ johnangermayer$ mount

/dev/disk3s1s1 on / (apfs, sealed, local, read-only, journaled)

devfs on /dev (devfs, local, nobrowse)

/dev/disk3s6 on /System/Volumes/VM (apfs, local, noexec, journaled, noatime, nobrowse)

/dev/disk3s2 on /System/Volumes/Preboot (apfs, local, journaled, nobrowse)

/dev/disk3s4 on /System/Volumes/Update (apfs, local, journaled, nobrowse)

/dev/disk2s2 on /System/Volumes/xarts (apfs, local, noexec, journaled, noatime, nobrowse)

/dev/disk2s1 on /System/Volumes/iSCPreboot (apfs, local, journaled, nobrowse)

/dev/disk2s3 on /System/Volumes/Hardware (apfs, local, journaled, nobrowse)

/dev/disk3s5 on /System/Volumes/Data (apfs, local, journaled, nobrowse, protect)

map auto_home on /System/Volumes/Data/home (autofs, automounted, nobrowse)

//[email protected]%E2%80%99s%20Mac%20mini._smb._tcp.local/johnangermayer on /Volumes/johnangermayer (smbfs, nodev, nosuid, quarantine, mounted by johnangermayer)

Johns-MacBook-Air:~ johnangermayer$ ls /Volumes

Macintosh HD johnangermayer

Johns-MacBook-Air:~ johnangermayer$ diskutil list

/dev/disk0 (internal):

#:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER

0:      GUID_partition_scheme                         500.3 GB   disk0

1:             Apple_APFS_ISC ⁨⁩                        524.3 MB   disk0s1

2:                 Apple_APFS ⁨Container disk3⁩         494.4 GB   disk0s2

3:        Apple_APFS_Recovery ⁨⁩                        5.4 GB     disk0s3

/dev/disk3 (synthesized):

#:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER

0:      APFS Container Scheme -                      +494.4 GB   disk3

Physical Store disk0s2

1:                APFS Volume ⁨Macintosh HD⁩            15.1 GB    disk3s1

2:              APFS Snapshot ⁨com.apple.os.update-...⁩ 15.1 GB    disk3s1s1

3:                APFS Volume ⁨Preboot⁩                 311.8 MB   disk3s2

4:                APFS Volume ⁨Recovery⁩                1.1 GB     disk3s3

5:                APFS Volume ⁨Data⁩                    43.7 GB    disk3s5

6:                APFS Volume ⁨VM⁩                      1.1 GB     disk3s6

Note: If I Force Quit Finder then I can eject.

the requrested lsof command would tell us what processes have files open on the remote volume.  For example mds would be indicate Spotlight.  It would be interesting to see what other processes are keeping files open on the volume

You can also force unmount either via the umount -f /Volumes/johnangermayer

Or using diskutil umount force /Volumes/johnangermayer

This post was modified 3 months ago by datafornothinandbitsforfree

I checked out this problem after the OS update. Still cannot eject for about an hour. As long as the disk is not my remote Home directory they can be ejected. If it my home directory Finder walks my user/Library then it can be ejected. I do not understand why Finder is doing this?

COMMAND PID USER FD TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
mds 101 root 22r DIR 51,227 16384 2 /Volumes/johnangermayer

It does look like Spotlight is accessing the disk.

System Preferences indicates the disk is not on the list to index: see attachment. Could this be the problem; Finder thinks spotlight is indexing and spotlight is not indexing.

Screen Shot 2021 04 26 at 11.22.58 AM

Like you name
Do you remember "Running Light without overbite"? I am showing my age.

I picked the name, when I joined the MGG Live Stream IRC forum, as a way to amuse Dave Hamilton, because of his love of Music. "Money for Nothin' and your Chicks for Free", from the Dire Straits music video on MTV.

I did subscribe to Dr. Dobb's Journal. Pre-Internet days. Along with Byte, EE Times, Computer World, Datamation, and a bunch of other monthly print magazines.

thank you for sharing with us this is really good

Share: