Forum

External Display Help  

RSS

Hi there,

I currently have a spec-ed out 13" MacBook Pro, mid-2014 and wanted to get a 4K monitor to go along with it. Reason being
is I have a PS4 pro that I would also like to use with the monitor but I am also into photo editing hence why I believe I
would benefit from 4K rather than 1080p or 1440p. I wanted some extra opinions on whether this would be a smart move.
According to my research the computer should be able to do 4K 60Hz as long as I use both thunderbolt 2 outputs. My budget
for monitor is roughly $200 to $300, and i would prefer a size of below 27". Is this a good idea?

Thanks in advance!

HI, I think your MacBook Pro doesn't support the resolution of a 4k monitor if you want it at 60Mhz. You would need to plug it into the HDMI port which supports 4k at 30Mhz see specs here. I'd stick with a 2560 by 1600 pixels or lower monitor with this Mac. You were talking about photo editing, if you're using Lightroom, than definitely NOT a 4k with that machine, you'll find it very slow to scroll through your photos. Just my 2 cents.

Share: