Forum

Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] HELP! very slow disk eject and now no backups  

RSS

Thats the best way i can describe my problem.

A week or two ago i was VPN over to somewhere with an RDP session open. i have 2 disks mounted into a StarTech.com external mount connected via USB-C, through a CalDigit TS2 (which also has network, screens, keyboard & mouse connected through).  First disk a HDD backing up via time machine (and still running after 3 hours).   The other was an SSD which i clone my internal SSD to using CCC.

In a rush to finish i didnt disconnect VPN / RDP but did click eject on the disks a few times.  I dont think they properly finished and i pulled the USB-C cable.

Starting up for the first time i saw the VPN notice & closed the RDP screens and closed the disk warnings.   since then neither TM or CCC will backup.   CCC just says check your disks and TM takes its usual 1 hour or so to check everything then just stops.

I had a few connection and browser hanging and disk interaction issues so i restarted, reset SMC & ran a full ONYX clean.  All seemed to work again except, I can see in Disk Utility the disks are connected and i can try to eject them but nothing happens.

if i goto terminal and list the disks i can see them and this runs fast.

si-mbp:~ simoncranmer$ mount
/dev/disk1s1 on / (apfs, local, journaled)
devfs on /dev (devfs, local, nobrowse)
/dev/disk1s4 on /private/var/vm (apfs, local, noexec, journaled, noatime, nobrowse)
/dev/disk1s5 on /Volumes/data1 (apfs, local, journaled)
map -hosts on /net (autofs, nosuid, automounted, nobrowse)
map auto_home on /home (autofs, automounted, nobrowse)
/dev/disk2s2 on /Volumes/2020tm 1 (hfs, local, nodev, nosuid, journaled)
[email protected]/dev/disk1s5 on /Volumes/com.apple.TimeMachine.localsnapshots/Backups.backupdb/si-mbp/2020-07-10-095540/data1 (apfs, local, read-only, journaled, nobrowse)
[email protected]/dev/disk1s1 on /Volumes/com.apple.TimeMachine.localsnapshots/Backups.backupdb/si-mbp/2020-07-10-095540/SSD1 (apfs, local, read-only, journaled, nobrowse)
[email protected]/dev/disk1s5 on /Volumes/com.apple.TimeMachine.localsnapshots/Backups.backupdb/si-mbp/2020-06-29-093607/data1 (apfs, local, read-only, journaled, nobrowse)
[email protected]/dev/disk1s1 on /Volumes/com.apple.TimeMachine.localsnapshots/Backups.backupdb/si-mbp/2020-06-29-093607/SSD1 (apfs, local, read-only, journaled, nobrowse)

if i then pick the TM disk to check open files 

lsof "/Volumes/2020tm"

i get a reply of nothing there but it takes 90 seconds.

if i now physically just eject the disk (button on the side of the mount), it can take a few minutes before the system will notice any change.   During this , going into Disk Utility shows the disk as still mounted.

Any ideas?

PS sorry forgot to add i am still on  Mojave 10.14.6

This topic was modified 1 month ago by r_si
1 Answer

ok answer (i hope) was corrupt local backups.

I cleared the  Console -> system.log , plugged in the SSD and in started seeing lots of

Jul 10 14:52:21 si-mbp com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.mdworker.shared.09000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000[54957]): Service exited due to SIGKILL | sent by mds[86]

Disk utility did not respond so i Quit the app. Then restarted it. i had spinning "Loading disks" for 1 minute. Disk Utility then showed the External bus but an offline disk.  I checked the .log file again to find lots more

Jul 10 14:54:05 si-mbp com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.mdworker.shared.09000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000[55057]): Service exited due to SIGKILL | sent by mds[86]

before a

Jul 10 14:54:06 si-mbp com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.mdworker.shared.09000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000): Service only ran for 2 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 8 seconds.

So,   I went to time machine turned off auto backups and deleted all of the disks and went to dinner.   30 mins later everything was removed from

/Volumes/com.apple.TimeMachine.localsnapshots/Backups.backupdb

Plugged back in the disk back in, time machine instantly wanted to add the backup back into its known list & CCC seems to be happy.

Share: