Forum

Hooking up two imacs for dual display.  

RSS

Hi everybody. This is my first post so pls forgive me if it appears redundant. I have an imac 2010 (11,3) with a minidisplay port (mdp). I recently purchased an imac 2019 (5K) which has thunderbolt 3 ports (also called USB C) I believe. It also has USB 3 ports, but NO mdp..

I want to connect the two computers to use the older imac as a secondary monitor so that I can have an extended display (not a simple mirroring). Every post I have read talks about connecting the two with a mdp on both ends but the new imac does not have a mdp, not does the old one have a thunderbolt 3 port.

Also all the the mdp I seem to find in stores are mdp to hdmi or VGA, but neither computers has those ports.

How do I connect these two imacs. Do I need to find a mdp with HDMI, then a thunderbolt 3 with HDMI and then connect the two with a HDMI cable?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Earl

Topic Tags
1 Answer

This cable will work

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076D7DR72

I got one, and I've successfully used it to connect my Late 2016 15" Macbook Pro (4 USB-C Thunderbolt ports) to my Late 2009 27" iMac in Target Display Mode.

It worked perfectly.

This post was modified 1 month ago by datafornothinandbitsforfree

Thanks for the response. My dilemma is that my 2010 imac does NOT have any USB-C Thunderbolt ports, it only has the mini display port. So the new one and the old one have different ports (the new one the Thunderbolt USB-C one) and my older one only the mini display port. But will check out the cable you suggested. Thanks

Obviously I should check things out first before commenting:) That seems to be the cable that would solve my problems. Much appreciated. Was confused (thought the cable would be one without a mini display port, but looks like it has one), no surprise there. Awesome.Will try it.

My iMac is coming up on 10 years old and cannot upgrade to Mojave, but it still works rather well and the 2K display is actually still a better display than any of the 1080p monitors' work will let me have.

When I saw someone post this cable in the https://discussions.apple.com forums saying it worked for USB-C based Macs and older iMacs in Target Display Mode, I clicked on the link and ordered one immediately.

When it came, I connected it from my USB-C based Macbook Pro to my iMac's mini Display Port, the put my iMac into Target Display Mode. It works wonderfully! My iMac was a 2nd display to my Macbook Pro.

And just because I have a strange sense of humor, I started a Screen Sharing session from my Macbook Pro to my iMac, which was still running, and moved the screen sharing session to the Target Display Mode iMac screen and expanded it to "Full Screen".

So the Target Display Mode iMac screen was displaying the iMac desktop, except the desktop, image traveled across an Ethernet connection to the Macbook Pro, which then sent the image across the USB-C Thunderbolt 3 to mini Display Port cable back to the iMac display.

Share: