Forum

How to completely diasble my Macbook pro camera with catolina OS installed?  

RSS

Hey guys, so I recently downloaded Catolina OS. However, it erased the prior chnages I had made through the terminal. I tried to input the same lines of code, but I can't seem to disable my camera. Does anybody know if the process has changed, or is it still the same, and I'm doing something wrong. I don't want to disbale it through the settings. I want the thing completely inoperable.

I attached the link I had followed to disable it in the first place.

https://www.macobserver.com/tips/macos-disable-webcam-mac/

@johnnyduke

I think I can tell you "Why" the old procedure does not work, but I cannot tell you how to fix it.

The old procedure depended on changing the permissions on several system files.

Catalina put the macOS system files into a read-only partition, so you can no longer change the file permissions.

I imagine there is some convoluted way to get around this, but at the moment I do not know what it would be.

1 Answer

I appreciate the answer. In other words (because I'm not very tech savy) they made it so I can no longer alter my computer processes and systems, correct?

@johnnyduke

Apple was not targeting you. One way for malware to attack a computer it to insert extra bits, or replace bits of the operating system.
By creating a read-only boot partition, it becomes extremely difficult for malware to do this.
But the side-effect is that tech-savvy users, like Jeff Butts from the article you posted, cannot implement the hacks, such as disabling the camera, the same way.
For the time being, use the GUI to disable the camera so you have something, and then maybe use the TMO website to contact Jeff Butts and see if he has a new solution.

Share: