Forum

[Solved] How to tell if my SSD was upgraded to APFS or whether it was formatted as APFS?  

RSS

Dave and John mentioned this in #745 but couldn't remember exactly where Mojave shows whether a drive has been formatted as APFS or upgraded.

I can't remember how mine was done and I'd like to check. If it was upgraded them I'm going to do the format and restore thing.

How can I tell please?  Does anyone know?

Thanks.

8 Answers

Thanks Dave - It says The volume Macintosh HD was formatted by hfs_convert so that's a pretty good indication that this is a converted drive.

If you run Disk Utility's First Aid, it will show up there. @johnfbraun noted that it says right in Disk First Aid's window whether the drive was formatted as "newfs_apfs" or if it was from an HFS+ conversion.

Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal

diskutil list /

/dev/disk1 (synthesized):
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: APFS Container Scheme - +500.0 GB disk1
Physical Store disk0s2
1: APFS Volume Macintosh HD 26.2 GB disk1s1
2: APFS Volume Preboot 24.6 MB disk1s2
3: APFS Volume Recovery 515.0 MB disk1s3
4: APFS Volume VM 1.1 GB disk1s4

I appreciate your reply but that doesn't actually tell me anything whatsoever.

You've bolded one line but without any reference as to whether that means it been initially formatted as APFS or upgraded from HFS+, I'm afraid it's utterly useless.  Sorry.

Mine:

/dev/disk1 (synthesized):
  #:   TYPE NAME  SIZE   IDENTIFIER
  0:  APFS Container Scheme -  +1.0 TB   disk1
  Physical Store disk0s2
  1:  APFS Volume Macintosh HD  578.1 GB   disk1s1
  2:  APFS Volume Preboot   45.5 MB  disk1s2
  3:  APFS Volume Recovery  517.0 MB   disk1s3
  4:  APFS Volume VM  2.1 GB   disk1s4

You have an APFS formated boot disk

1:  APFS Volume Macintosh HD  578.1 GB   disk1s1

Yes, I know I have an APFS formatted boot drive.

I think you're missing the point of my question, perhaps I haven't explained it very well.

In show #745, Dave and John were talking about the APFS format and how APFS drives are constructed differently depending on whether they were initially formatted as APFS or whether they were initially HFS+ and then converted APFS at a later stage.

A suggestion has been made that drives initially formatted as HFS+ and then converted to APFS are generating some problems and that a 'fix' for this is to perform a backup, reformat the drive from scratch as APFS and then restore the backup.  It was mentioned that there's a way to determine whether the drive has always been APFS or converted from HFS+.  This is what I'm trying to find out.

I know my drive is APFS.  What I want to know is if it's always been APFS or whether it started as HFS+.

Sorry, my mistake

On a friends Mac running disk utility shoewed a line something like

APFS volume created using apfs_hfs_convert

/spin/apfs_hfs_convert converts an HFS filesysten to APFS

we cloned the disk to one formatted as APfS and disk utility showed a different message possibly

APFS volume created using newts_apfs

on my Mac I see neither message. I did format as APFS as seems to run better than before when I did a convert. I booted from a clone, formatted main disk as APFS and restored form clone,

Ah, it appears I was writing my response as Dave answered the question,

Share: