Forum

iconservicesagent Chewing Up Resources  

RSS

Hi All,

I have a early 2015 MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch) running the latest version of Mojave (10.14.6). I don't remember when I noticed it, but I've noticed that the process called "iconservicesagent" is consuming an unusual amount of resources, 60-80% or more. Doing some Googling, it seems this is not an uncommon problem, with no clear cut solutions.

- I haven't made any "custom folders", or know of any apps that might be doing it
- I've started to use the app "Jettison" to dismount the 3 drives I use for backup, and mount them as needed, to eliminate them as the problem
- Killing the iconservicesagent process in Activity Monitor fixes it temporarily, but it reappears after a minute or so
- Restarting doesn't fix it

Have any of you run into this, and if so, have you found a solution... at least for now?

Thanks in advance.

2 Answers

I don't know anything about this specific problem but in general when a built in agent seems to go rogue I tend to point the finger at corrupted cache files. Using Onyx to do a cleanup of all that "sort of stuff" would be a useful troubleshooting step, or booting into Safe Mode also does cleanup of caches.

I had a feeling this was connected to QuickLook. Did you Google iconservicesagent? I did and found this top hit: https://gist.github.com/walesmd/7315613

Share: