Forum

iTunes server problems - widespread?  

RSS

When I try to update my iCloud music library in iTunes for Mac I get the message "Genius results can’t be updated right now. The network connection was lost."

On the Apple forums there are several people in the last 24 hours seeing the same problem - yet Apple's status shows no issue.

Can others on here go to iTunes > File > Library > Update iCloud Music Library and see if it's working for some people?

Posted by: Jon

When I try to update my iCloud music library in iTunes for Mac I get the message "Genius results can’t be updated right now. The network connection was lost."

On the Apple forums there are several people in the last 24 hours seeing the same problem - yet Apple's status shows no issue.

Can others on here go to iTunes > File > Library > Update iCloud Music Library and see if it's working for some people?

Sure seems to be widespread.  I've bee having this issue since yesterday, and there are several forums with users world wide having the same issue.  Looks like it's on Apple's side.

3 Answers

Hi @DaveHamilton... thanks so much for your response!

Yes, I've done all of the above and now my previous backup of the Genius.itdb file doesn't seem to be recognized when restored.

Even when starting afresh with a new Genius.itdb file (which iTunes does seem to generate), the issue occurs when iTunes is attempting to get results back from Apple.

Unless there is some other 'magic' out there that I haven't tried, I think my next move is to call Apple.

Thanks!

My issue is similar and related, I'm sure.

I do not (as far as I know) have an iCloud music library. However, iTunes Genius no longer updates. I get the following:

"Genius results can't be updated right now. An unknown error occurred (4001)"

Doing the usual Google foo, there are dozens of topics going back several years, yet no apparent solution. I tried all of the suggested solutions, yet none of them solved the issue. In fact, the situation was made worse as the Genius feature no longer works at all! This is a great pity, as it's a feature that I use extensively in my carefully curated library, which I've been collecting for years.

Has anyone else had this issue and figured it out?

My next move is to call Apple... I suspect the problem is at their end.

Andrew

@TACaddick — Have you turned off Genius and then re-enabled it? I've seen that wipe out the database before, too. Signing out of iTunes with Account > Sign Out and signing back in  can also help here.

One other option, quit iTunes, and then go to [home] > Music > iTunes and move/delete the iTunes Library Genius.itdb file. Make a copy/backup first just in case, but this is where those results are stored. If the file is damaged, that might just solve it.

Share: