Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Mac Mail Crashing

RSS

Topic starter

Hi

I have an aged MacBook late 2008 Aluminium which I only use when I am traveling. It has been maxed out to 8GB of Ram and has had a 500GB SSD installed of which I have 112GB in hand. Has run perfectly until recently when my Mail app just crashes as soon as I run it. Tried lots of fixes none of which worked so erased and re formatted the HD and did a clean installation from a USB drive of El Capitan 10.11.6. 

I still have the same problem witch Mail crashing. I guess I can get around it by using iCloud mail but that is a bit clunky. Can anyone offer any advice or give me an alternative mail app I could use as it is just annoying.

Yes, I appreciate it is an old machine but it is mint and as I said, I only use it when on the road and just for email and browsing 

Thanks in advance 

1 Answer

I haven't really tried other clients since the days of Eudora (yes...I'm that old!), but i recall hearing good things about "Spark", which is on the MacApp store and says it works with 10.13 or later. Whoops, I guess you have 10.11, so that won't help, alas...but it is possible there is an older version?

On another note: You say you have tried lots of things, but did you try removing all the mail files ( ./Library/Mail/V6... or perhaps an earlier version for your system). And perhaps also the preference files in ./Library/Preferences. It certainly is possible these got corrupted. If you are able to launch mail after moving these, say to the desktop...then you could re-import all your mail if you have some that is locally stored.

Rebuilding mailboxes has also helped me in the past, though you have to get mail launched first.

Jim

Share: