Forum

Mac mini - Buy, Wait, or Hackintosh?  

  RSS

0

So I just realized my mid-2011 mini won’t support Mojave. I’d buy a new one but as we all know, it hasn’t been updated since 2014 and that update made it un-upgradable. As “that guy” who buys cheap and does his own drive and RAM upgrades, my patience with Apple is running out. The rumors have been flying about a new mini since Tim Cook’s “the mini is important” email went public. But the time to sell my current machine is now, before the bottom drops out of the price when the new Macs and Mojave are released. 

So, what do I do? Buy a 2012 or 2014 Mac and get CPU envy when the new mini comes out? Wait and hope I can still get enough out of my current mini to make a decent dent in the price of the new mini? Or scrap all hope and just build a Hackintosh? I’m really torn. Thoughts?

 
0

Hi KoderKev,

 

I would wait, but that's easy for me to say because I'm not spending or not spending my money...

 

The reason I say that, though, is that I do feel that Apple may be finally paying attention to the Mac ... the iMac Pro came out late last year ... new MacBook Pros today (yeah!) ... the Mac Pro still promised for 2019.

 

So while there's no evidence to point to an actual new Mac mini coming ... I've still got a glimmer of hope ... the glimmer would die if they don't come by the end of the calendar year, though.

 

My 2 cents worth...

 

Old UNIX Guy

 
0

Hi!

I am waiting...in anticipation of a new mini. We use them for some of our staff and ours are in need of updating for sure. I have found myself starting to check out refurbed 21.5 iMac’s as a solution if the mini doesn’t get shown some love pretty soon. I can wait until Q4 of this year, but if there isn’t new hardware by 11/1/18 I think I am going to invest in 21.5 iMac’s as replacements for my teams mini’s.

 

 
0

Hi!

I am waiting...in anticipation of a new mini. We use them for some of our staff and ours are in need of updating for sure. I have found myself starting to check out refurbed 21.5 iMac’s as a solution if the mini doesn’t get shown some love pretty soon. I can wait until Q4 of this year, but if there isn’t new hardware by 11/1/18 I think I am going to invest in 21.5 iMac’s as replacements for my teams mini’s.

 

 
Share: