Forum

[Solved] Mac vs. Windows Malware  

Page 2 / 2 Prev
  RSS

It’s obvious by now that I won’t get the backup for these statements that I desire. I’m sure these were reputable people (even though I don’t know anything about them) and obviously you, Dave, have a lot of credibility built up. But if I step back, all I know is that someone I know went to a conference where a couple of guys said, “Macs are more vulnerable to malware than Windows.”  

On the other hand I have tons of hard evidence of specific utilities and processes that go on under the hood to harden macOS. I also know that Microsoft has made great strides in this area in recent past as well.  But I’ve not seen it reported anywhere that Windows is less vulnerable to malware than macOS.  

I can’t “let that sink in” as you suggested without any backup other than two guys at a conference said so.

If you want the details of those sessions, I’m sure they are (or will be) available to hear at some point. 

Or you could reach out to the presenters.

@podfeet, it's like someone was listening. The entire playlist of MacTech 2018 videos just went live today: 

That's awesome! Now to find an hour of time to watch to find the information. Worst case scenario is a learn a lot of other stuff too!

Got the answer to my question just 4 minutes in.  Mr. Wardle did not say that Macs are more vulnerable to malware than Windows.  

As you can see in his attached chart, he said something quite different, which aligns with what I've been trying to say.  He said, "Macs are no more resistant to malware than their (modern) Windows counterparts."

mac malware

Still watching, some more info on his opinion.  around 18 minutes in, he has a chart that says "Macs are just as susceptible to vulnerabilities as their (modern) Windows counterparts ... if not more so!"

mac malware2

Ok, sounds like the same statement.  But he goes on to present the well-known fact that there are more CVEs for the Mac than there are for Windows. He also says that Mac vulnerabilities are cheaper than Windows vulnerabilities.  He thinks this means that the Mac ones are easier to find.

He supports that assumption by saying it’s not because there are fewer Macs.  If that was true then iOS vulnerabilities would be cheaper than Android vulnerabilities (more Android phones than iOS), but Android vulnerabilities are not less expensive, and he thinks it’s because iOS is harder to break.

He might be missing another reason. We know that Android phones are the cheap alternative and that those with money (higher value targets) tend to have iPhones.  So I don’t buy his argument as being definitive. It could be true but it doesn’t naturally follow.

Page 2 / 2 Prev
Share: