Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Moving files off a WD My Book Live

RSS

Topic starter

Hi all,

With the recent security issues affecting old WD My Book Live drives, I am trying to move my files off my drive to somewhere secure. File transfer was always slow using the WD interface and so I am trying to find faster ways. Unfortunately the drive is formatted so that you can't just remove it and put it in a drive enclosure and do the transfers that way.

I read that FTP should be faster and more reliable and this leads to my question. When I use a FTP client such as FileZilla, I get much better speed but MAC centric items such as Photos libraries are seen as directories and copied to the target drive as directories rather than the libraries that Photos needs. What I am missing?

This behaviour is also seen for sparse bundles.

Thanks

Kevin

3 Answers

Finder copy is the only supported way of moving a photos library. 

Topic starter

Thanks cpragman. I guess I have to stick with Finder copy

Kevin

Topic starter

Just an update for everyone...

I pulled (shunked?) the WD drive from the My Book Live enclosure and put in it a USB drive enclosure. Using the trial version of extFS for Mac, I was able to copy all the files I needed off the WD drive using the Finder at a much faster speed than if I had used the My Book Live enclosure. I then formatted the WD drive to make it Mac compatible and copied the files I needed back to it. I now have a 2TB drive that I can use without fear of any security issues

Kevin

Share: