Forum

NTFS driver suggestions?...for the latest MACOS xxx.14  

RSS

Can anyone suggest an NTFS driver?... for reading and writing.

I have a dated but barely used external 1.5 Terabyte HD that my MacOS Mojave .14 won’t read or list in Finder (external drive preferences is turned on.)

The one I am looking at is by iBoysoft.

Do you need to access this drive from both macOS AND Windows?

If not, and you do not have data you need to save, just reformat as a macOS Volume. Either Mac OS Extended (Journaled) or APFS.

Or if you need this for Windows too, maybe reformat as exFAT that both macOS and Windows can read and write without extra drivers.

3 Answers

Excellent suggestion. It hadn’t occurred to me to reformat.  I forgot to mention, that I had backup files on the drive from a laptop back in 2006.  I want to keep the files (mostly for curiosity) to see what is on the drive.

If I reformat the drive, to make it compatible with the MacOS, can I reformat the drive and keep the backup files?

My intention or goal is to use the external 1.5 TB HD as an auxiliary repository to relieve my maxed out 500 GB SSD on this 2017 iMac.

No. Reformatting is destructive to the previous file system format.

If you have someplace you can store those archived files temporarily, reformat, then move them back, you could do that.

Or consider getting yet-another-backup-disk 😀

I'm pretty certain that macOS will read NTFS even though it can't write.

Therefore you may have a problem with the drive itself. Perhaps check it in a Windows machine before splashing out any cash.

I have the free FUSE installed from: https://osxfuse.github.io

I can't confirm however that I have "exercised" it under Mojave.

Updated my understanding of what what FUSE does. It only provides a framework for other tools. So for NTFS one also needs something like the NTFS 3G ( https://github.com/osxfuse/osxfuse/wiki/NTFS-3G) which is installed via homebrew

Additionally - the NTFS 3G FAQ would seem to indicate that I/O performance isn't great so you probably wouldn't want to use this as a solution for bringing an NTFS drive into a "critical" procedure flow.

I was under the general impression that MacOS Mojave (xxx.14) would to.

You may be correct, I tried booting it on my Win 10 laptop, but it is a Federal Government issue which does not allow external USB storage drives.  When it wouldn't display I thought it was because of that.

I have installed the free FUSE via the link you provided.

The external drive still does not display in Finder / Locations when I reboot (which I have done several times.)

I am thinking it is this drive, especially since it was listed on my desktop and in Finder / Location as an additional drive "SAT_1TB" at one point when I first was trying this device.
Plus it took awhile (over 20 minutes) for it to final show up.

With the cost of external (rotational) drives, I think I will invest in another external drive, since my goal was to additional space.

Thanks for all the assistance and suggestions.

-Greg

This post was modified 4 weeks ago by geekmee

Just remember to format first, before putting data on it 😀

exFAT if you have to share with Windows.
Mac OS Extended (journaled) or APFS is Mac only.

Share: