Forum

Please help. MacBook Pro won’t turn on.  

RSS

Hello everyone,,

My MacBook Pro won’t turn on, at all! I got it in 2016. Recently, it wouldn’t turn on and then after a few days on the desk not being touched it magically turned on like nothing ever happened. So I thought phew dodged a bullet! But now it won’t turn back on, at all.

When I plug it in, the charging light turns on and green. When I press the power button, nothing. No fans, no “caps lock” light.

I have tried everything on google, this is a last stitch effort 🙁 pls help

1 Answer

This might sound stupid but on quite a few occasions I’ve had to talk clients through this..... Have you pressed and held down the power button for at least 7 seconds? This would truly make sure the MacBook has shut down rather than being hung on a black screen (which sometimes happens when a lone background process refuses to respond to a normal shutdown). Having ensured it really is shut down, try the normal power button press again. 

Otherwise the next next thing would be to try an SMC reset:

Shut down the computer.

• Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.

• On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.

• Release all the keys and the power button at the same time. (Do this a couple of times if you're unsure.)

• Press the power button to turn on the computer.  

Note: The LED on the MagSafe power adapter will usually temporarily change colour or turn off when you reset the SMC. 

Share: