Forum

Puzzling system delays  

Page 2 / 2
   RSS

Every couple of days my 2015 MacBook Pro running Mojave 10.14.4 goes into a state where it simply pauses for 2-3 seconds. I can be typing and nothing comes out, but then in a couple of seconds everything I typed spits out on screen. I can drag a window and nothing happens, and suddenly the window jumps where I moved it.

A reboot fixes the problem temporarily and it comes back in a day or two.

I tried quitting every open program one by one, then every menubar app. Then I turned off Bluetooth.  Then I turned off WiFi.  Problem persisted.

According to iStat Menus, there's no system load at all and no network traffic (in KB/s).

I reset the SMC and NVRAM for grins and giggles. The problem returned.

Right now it's only pausing maybe every 5 minutes.  Sometimes the pauses are every 30 seconds.

Any idea what this could be and how to diagnose?

Dear Allison, has the issue been resolved? If not, could you please run EtreCheck, generate a report and paste it here so that we can dig deeper. I am sure the report may even directly help you solve this, if it hasn't been solved already.

15 Answers

Ok, I can confirm that my delays are not caused by CMMX, and related to that I can confirm that CMMX causes me no delays when it's installed. So that particular red herring has been tossed back.

My current issues are keychain related. Mail and Safari are most affected. I have some specific scenarios where these do and don't manifest, but what I want to do is wipe out my keychains and start fresh. Except, you know, for the part about where I definitely do not want to do that.

I wish Keychain First Aid still existed, if only so I could rule that out as my magic fix. Because ... I'll never know.

This post was modified 1 month ago 2 times by Dave Hamilton

I did try this "delete the alphabet-soup folder and restart" solution and, while it makes me feel better knowing that many, many of these indexes have been rebuilt, my delays still exist. https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/325724/how-do-i-prevent-local-items-keychain-from-locking/325747#325747

Edit: this might well have fixed my "delays when Safari is prepping its list of passwords to show me" problem. I need more time to test, but... it's faster than it's ever been. My Mail keychain lags still exist, at least for now.

Should become a mantra - if you think you need a macOS utility, check to see if Howard at Eclectic Light has already written it. See if this helps:

https://eclecticlightdotcom.files.wordpress.com/2018/06/keychaincheck204.zip

Page 2 / 2
Share: