Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Replace Time Capsule  

RSS

Looking for a near-future router and backup replacement for a 2TB Time Capsule for use in a smallish 1590 sq ft two-story house on 1/12 acre.   What do you suggest?

3 Answers

Any up-to-date WiFi router should do the job.  If you think you might move to a larger home, or if you have issues getting WiFi into all corners or out on the porch/patio, then a Mesh router.  Dave H has a very good article on Mesh routers.

For backup, I would lean towards a Synology.  Even a basic 2 drive bay model, but a 4 or 5 drive bay would be better and populate with IronWolf drives.  But that is my personal preference.

@datafornothinandbitsforfree

Thank you..I will look into it.

If you have only one Mac to backup, you ought to consider dropping the wifi backups, and get a USB3 external drive, plug it in, and use something like CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper.

I finally moved from a 2Tb Time Capsule to a two-bay Synology about six months ago.  I installed two 4Tb HDDs, in a mirrored RAID.  I only use this NAS for my backups, and run Carbon Copy Cloner on both my MacBook Pro (500 GB SSD, plus a 256 GB flash drive that lives full time in my MBP) and my wife's iMac (1TB SSD). (I also keep TimeMachine running on the iMac, backing up to a 2Tb HDD attached via USB).

So far, it's been rock solid.

Note that, since the NAS is not direct-connected to either Mac, the backups are not full clones and are not bootable.  I have used such backups in the past, though, and don't find this to be a deal breaker.

@bkmiller

Very similar to what I use for backing up the Macbook Pro(s) in my house (different Synology), but Carbon Copy Cloner based.

@bkmiller

Thank you...checking it out now.

Share: