Forum

Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] Safari extensions disappearing from toolbar  

RSS

I've had this problem for a while, back in Mojave and now in Catalina still, but have ignored it because I use Brave as my primary browser. (I use Safari for some things like Apple Pay transactions.) Every time I restart Safari, all of my extensions disappear from the toolbar. They are still showing as activated in Preferences > Extensions, but they're not their and they don't respond to their keyboard shortcuts (if they usually have them.) I have to uncheck and recheck them one by one to reactivate them. 

Any ideas what could possibly fix this annoyance? 

Topic Tags
2 Answers

Hi ...

Might be a corrupted preference file.

Open the Finder.

From the Finder menu bar click Go > Go to Folder

Type or copy paste the following:

~/Library/Safari/Extensions/Extensions.plist

Click Go then move the Extensions.plist file to the Trash.

Quit and relaunch Safari to test.

@yuanyasmine
Thanks, I think that was the solution. I don't know why I didn't think to just blow away the pref file. Sometimes we get too deep in the weeds and forget the simple stuff.

@yuanyasmine
Glad to learn the issue is resolved. Thank you for mentioning how it got resolved!

A)

Try https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203353

Consider the steps offered. Apply the steps where applicable then try to reproduce the issue.

B)

Backup your Mac

Quit Safari

Go to your ~/Library folder (Go menu>Library)

Then go to Preferences folder and move com.apple.Safari.plist to the desktop.

Launch Safari.

If the issue is resolved you can safely delete the com.apple.Safari.plist file. If not 

C)

If the issue persists

Delete the installed extensions

Restart the Mac

Reinstall one extension at a time, trying to reproduce the issue in-between installs of any new extensions.

D)

If the issue still persists

Create a new admin user account on your Mac

Logout and choose the new user account

Launch Safari

Check if the Extensions are installed. If not install them

Try to reproduce the issue

If the issue persists the issue is system wide, report back mention that the issue is system wide

If the issue is not reproducible in the test user account then the issue is user specific and the source of trouble is coming from your main user account - report back accordingly.

If by now the issue persists consider reporting back with an Etrecheck report as it might help with any further isolation / troubleshooting steps

—Alex

Share: