Forum

Notifications

Security & Privacy blocked unfamiliar developer "DEVGURU co,. ltd"  

RSS

Hi All, Security & Privacy shows my a message about blocking an app from developer "DEVGURU co., ltd". I can't find any app on my Mac from that developer nor remembering installing an app from that developer. Any idea who is the developer or what apps does he develop? 

Thank you,

Gabriel.

Screen Shot 2020 02 05 at 18.09.40

3 Answers

This isn't the first time I've seen a system extension listed as being from a company other than the one I expected. In my experiences, though, I've noticed this immediately after installing something, so I "knew" what it actually was and wasn't concerned.

Here it's coming up without any other temporal reference, so some caution and research is in order. Looking on the App Store, apps like TwomonUSB, TwoMon Air, and EasyCanvas are assigned to that same developer, albeit for iOS. 

Looking at Download.com's listing for DEVGURU Co., Ltd., we can see OSLinx and TwomonUSB.

I'm guessing maybe you installed the latter at some point? It also seems like EasyNLight.com is their home on the web. 

Hopefully one of those sounds familiar to you!

Thank you for the replay.

The odd thing is that none of these apps are installed on my Mac nor do I remember installing any of them.

Gabriel.

@gabrielbhh

while a lot of work to look through, you might try Applications -> Utilities -> System Information -> Software -> Applications, and Extensions, and any othe software catagory you think you might find this in.

When you select the app, it gives information about the developer.

Or try MacUpdater, and click on the (i) info icon for apps you suspect may be from the developer.

Thank you very much @datafornothinandbitsforfree

Following your advice I've found these 5 extensions under Software-->Extensions

It seems like they are used by my Samsung's external HDD.

Screen Shot 2020 02 06 at 9.18.07

The question is, do you really need special drivers for an external disk?

What do these kernel extension drivers do that macOS cannot do all by itself?

@datafornothinandbitsforfree

This might well be for a Samsung Galaxy mobile phone, not an external drive, at least based upon some quick Googling around. I could be wrong, of course, but I agree with you: why would one need a driver for an external HDD when macOS can do it?

I am "Shocked" that you might even think someone posting in these forums would own an Android phone 😀

This is interesting, I'm using an iPhone so it seems as if the HDD is the one using the drivers. Do I have a way to verify that this is really the case?

Share: