Setting up a new Mac
The new MacBook Air we ordered for my wife (to replace her 2010 MBP) on tax free weekend arrived today, so I tried to set it up for her. To say it was an abysmal failure would be a bit of an understatement:
1. I attempted to use Migration Assistance to migrate everything from her old to new laptops via WiFi. After over an hour, the MBA was still sitting there saying it was calculating sizes. Quit that.
2. I attempted to update her apps via the Mac App Store. It said I had to allow this in her account in the Mac App Store, so I did. It still won't let me update her apps because I need to allow this in the Mac App Store. Gave up on that.
3. We set up login via Touch ID, but she can only log in via password.
4. We tried to set up login via her Apple Watch, but it can't be found even though it's on her wrist 3 feet from her laptop with Bluetooth on on both (and her iPhone nearby as well).
5. We tried to set up her Gmail, but Safari is saying her password isn't her password, even though Keychain on her old Mac says it's her password.
Tim Cook / Craig Federighi ... I know you read these forums (<grin>). I would be disappointed if I had this poor of an experience with a Microsoft product during the Steve Ballmer era. Oh, and Tim - come ask me what my "customer sat" score for you is right now.
Anybody reading this have any ideas how to solve any of the above issue which should have never happened in the first place?!?!
Old UNIX Guy
- I recommend using a direct Ethernet connection if you must migrate direct from Mac to Mac. Generally, I prefer migrating via a Time Machine backup or one of the aforementioned directly connected disk options.
- I've seen that message in the Mac App Store recently. Of course if you'd migrated in step 1, you probably wouldn't get that. But did you try restarting the app or the Mac?
- Are you referring to logging in at startup or after waking from sleep? The former always requires a password, just like an iPhone requires a passcode after restart.
- I'm not a watch expert.
- Is this at gmail.com or using Mail?
An update on this:
1. I appreciate the suggestions to use Migration Assistant with a locally attached (backup) disk rather than over WiFi. Unfortunately, I didn't think about the fact that I was entering USB-C only world and didn't have a USB-A -> USB-C dongle to use, leaving WiFi as my only choice yesterday. Last night, however, I redid the Migration Assistant and it worked this time for some unknown reason.
2. This is still an issue that I'm working with Apple Support on.
3. Since Migration Assistant ran, she has a "new" account so we're going to try setting up Touch ID again and see what happens.
4. Ditto for the Apple Watch.
5. After Migration Assistant ran, the password that didn't work before worked now. Another mystery since yesterday I had gone to her old laptop, looked up her password in Keychain Access, and used that. Didn't work, but after Migration Assistance copied it over it did.
Thanks for the suggestions...
Old UNIX Guy
- Check for an Internet connection
- The plug in only the essential devices
- Turn on your Mac
- Check for software updates