Forum

[Solved] Sharing Files between users on a Desktop Mac  

RSS

My wife and I have been sharing an account for ..... ever it seems and I finally convinced she needs a separate account and will have lots of advantages with iCloud stuff. 

We have a number of folder/files that we want to share and I know the standard is to put all of that in the /Users/Shared directory, but that's not available on iCloud drive, which is nice to be able to access on iPads, other macs, etc. 

I tried setting the permission on a folder within my Documents folder to give her read/write access, however it seems like she can't access it from the Finder. If the folder is TOSHARE and inside of my Documents folder, then from her account /Users/my_acct/Documents/TOSHARE should give her access to it.   I was wondering if this is because I needed to give her read access to /Users/my_acct/Documents, but I can't seem to do that from the Finder (get info).  

Thoughts about this or other solutions that will 1) give her access to a folder and 2) keep that folder available via my iCloud. 

This topic was modified 1 month  ago by pstaab

You need to grant your wife read-only access to /Users/my_acct/Documents

And just to be on the safe side, you just might want to grant your wife read-only access to your /Users/my_acct folder.

You would have to do this as my_acct and if the little padlock in the lower left corner of the Get Info dialog box is locked, you will need to click on it first.

This post was modified 1 month  ago by datafornothinandbitsforfree

I just granted read access to her for /Users/my_acct, and from her account, I can now see that top level of folders. 

Back in my account ...   But when trying Get Info on the Documents folder (or the Desktop folder), the region with Sharing & Permission part is not present.  I'm guessing this may have something to do with the iCloud nature of the folder. 

I know I could try to do via the terminal, but adding a user to a folder to I thought usually meant giving group access, which I would have to make a group of two of us... and it seemed to be a lot of trouble. 

BTW, I'm still running High Sierra... 

It seems like Occam’s Razor applies here.  Use Dropbox.  Super-simple, easy and if it’s just some shared files between you (e.g., <2GB) it’s free. 

I was thinking along this line anyway and good point.  This way each of us will have access via any cloud service. 

Share: