Forum

Spinning beach ball when selecting text  

RSS

Hi, my boss is having issues with the cursor switching to the spinning beach ball and having to wait for it to come back when he selects text. That can be in any application, so not just one app. He is on a 2017 iMac with 32 GB of ram and a Fusion drive running Mojave 10.14.2. I thought it could be popclip, a little utility we use, but everybody has that installed and no one else has the problem, so, probably not it. Anybody seen this?

TIA!

3 Answers

I don't recall this exact same issue but I think you're on the right line with 3rd party apps. Perhaps take a look at what 3rd party Services are installed because I'd guess these have to be interrogated/activated/recognised in some way by the OS when text is selected. ie. the services that are presented from the right-click menu are context sensitive.

Thanks Dave, my boss like to run a lot of little utilities, but I have no idea which ones. I also run Typinator and KM and have no problem.

Yeah, also check other background apps. I could see something like KeyboardMaestro or TextExpander or any of those types of things perhaps inserting themselves into the UI processes and slowing things down. (note: I run both of the aforementioned apps and have zero issues... I'm just saying that's where I'd start looking if I were having an issue like this).

Share: