Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Spotlight behavior for removable drives  

RSS

Running Mojave.  I have several USB thumb drives, mounted only occasionally, which I don't want indexed by Spotlight.  So I plug in one of these drives, it mounts, and I go into SysPrefs->Spotlight->Privacy and ask the system to exclude the drive from indexing.  But as soon as I unmount the drive, the system also removes it from the Spotlight indexing exclusion list.   Is this a Bug, or is is a Feature?

I am also annoyed that I cannot remove a .Spotlight-V100 file from any of my USB drives.  From the command line:

bash:sudo rm -rf .Spotlight-V100
Password:
rm: .Spotlight-V100: Operation not permitted

Anyone know a way around this?

2 Answers

Anyone found a solution to this?

Now working from home , I have an external doc & recently been mounting old drives to use in a backup rotation scheme.  I just realised one of ther reasons my machine runs slow each day is the mounting of one of these drives and the subsiquent reindexing that always starts. adding the drives to privacy seems to forget some of the drives &/or some of the diskimages Ive created for ccc backups.

thanks

Simon

@r_si
When you put a drive in place for backup, do you wipe it clean and then backup, or do you leave the Spotlight files in place, which are marked to not do Spotlight.

I had old drives (that were previously wiped) i renamed and then started a fresh ccc and a GetBackPro onto these drives for monthly backups, but now do the incremental backups.

i have added them into spotlight & all stops indexing. when all is finished I correctly eject the drives using finder, count to 10, place them back into the hub so they are remounted and spotlight will restart indexing. checking privacy tab, they are missing again.

Ive also tried to turn spotlight off, turn spotlight back on & restart the spotlight index. then eject and remount but its the same.

I had an old drives (that was previously wiped) i think i renamedand then started a ccc and a GetBackPro onto these drives for monthly backups.

i have added them into spotlight & all stops indexing.  when all is finished, I can correctly eject the drives using finder,  count to 10, place them back into the hub and spotlight will restart indexing.  checking privacy and they are missing again.

Ive also tried  to turn spotlight off,  turn spotlight back on & restart the spotlight index.  then eject and remount.

Share: