Forum

Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] "System" is using lots of Disk Space on Mojave and High Sierra  

Page 2 / 2
   RSS

Like @johnfbraun mentioned in a recent episode, I've now started seeing "System" using over 100GB on my APFS-formatted High Sierra and Mojave systems. I've been running all kinds of utilities to find the answer, to little/no avail.

Daves System Storage Usage

This morning, with DaisyDisk, I realized that my Drive Genius logs were taking up ~20GB. Those were mostly in ~/Library/Logs/com_prosofteng_logs/DriveGenius/dp. I don't launch Drive Genius often these days, so I assume these are from its Drive Pulse app (which I'm not keen on anyway). I opened that folder and saw a few very large .tlg files in there. Before just manually deleting them, I launched Drive Genius... and watched it wipe them away.

Perhaps Drive Genius is built to "process" these, but only after launch?

Anyway, that's one small dent in my System Storage usage (I still have 152GB used there). What have you found that helps?

Might want to check mail logging - may have massive useless connection log files.
⁨Library⁩ ▸ ⁨Containers⁩ ▸ ⁨com.apple.mail⁩ ▸ ⁨Data⁩ ▸ ⁨Library⁩ ▸ ⁨Logs⁩

Turn off mail connection logging: https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/223390/huge-apple-mail-logs-connection-logging-enabled

I just free'd up over 650Gb of space by removing the log files and turning off connection logging. Not sure why it was on in the first place!

Oh wow, @smuskal. This is brilliant. I'm cueing it up to share on the show, too. Great stuff!

Thanks - I frustrated for days on this. After literally sifting through my whole system, I came across the large files, so thought I would share the love. CleanMyMac was great as well, but didn't help me find these files - perhaps because I didn't grant it access to email. Anyway, thanks for passing it along. I imagine several others will benefit.

15 Answers

For ten years, infrequently, but we are faced with the problem that birds poop on the roof. since we live outside the city, there are more birds here and of course spots, too! This problem is often solved on its own - if the summer is rainy, then the roof can wash itself. But if bird droppings are not washed off the roof by rain, then how to do it? Can Spray and Forget reviews help us?

Page 2 / 2
Share: