Forum

systemuiserver  

RSS

Ever since one of the updates of Mojave, I have had a login problem. I leave my MacBook Pro mid-2013 running. I login each day to work. When I do, the menubar freezes and wifi does not work and I cannot shutdown, restart or open any apps. I have to do a hard shutdown and restart that way. Things are fine until I leave for lunch and then come back. Sometimes it logs in ok, and then sometimes it does the same freeze. Activity Monitor says, "systemuiserve not responding." I have reset SMC and even reinstalled the MacOS to no avail. ARGH. I have notice a few others with the same issue. Any ideas? 

Question.  Do you have 3rd party background utilities running?  Anti-Virus, Mac cleaners, LittleSnitch, etc... 

If you do, did you get upgrades for all of those 3rd party packages so they are compatible with Mojave?

If you boot into Safe mode, say before lunch and see if it is OK after lunch, or boot before going home, and see if it is OK when you come to work in the morning.  That would be a way to eliminate 3rd party additions as interference or to point a guilty finger at them.

Try booting into Safe mode
This will not load any 3rd party additions, it will load some more conservative Apple drivers (may cause screen flicker), and it will clear some kernel caches (a cache is saved data in a form that can speed up a program, but is totally redundant to the original source, and thus can be safely cleared).  Booting into Safe mode is just an experiment, but can frequently eliminate any 3rd party interference, or a cached item out-of-sync with the world.  (Verify Safe mode via Applications -> Utilities -> System Information -> Software -> Boot Mode -> Safe vs Normal)

Agree with all of the above and add that you should also check screensaver settings. I have seen cases where “wake from sleep” issues, including my own, have been resolved by simply changing which screensaver is being used (ie. Causing a rewrite of the underlying plist file)

Booted in safe mode last night. Came to it this morning and things were fine. Before I restarted I changed my screensaver. I then restarted. Have been working and will go to lunch and see if anything has changed. 

Remember Safe mode is just a diagnostic to see if maybe 3rd party software is at fault.

But Safe mode also clears some caches, so when you are satisfied that things work well in Safe mode, you may want to go back to a regular boot and see how things go.

Also, you changed 2 things.  You changed your screen saver and you did a Safe boot, so we do not know which one is having a positive effect.  Going back to regular mode will at least tell you if the problem is still there.  If it is gone, then either the different screens saver was the fix (Yea), or Safe mode clear a cache that was at fault.  Either way, you will be up and working again, which is the main thing.

ok. So far, it seems to be ok. Shock! Will continue to watch. 

ok. Came in this morning and the screen was black and it would not wake up. Must have stayed up too late. LOL. I did a hard shut down and then restarted. Will check after lunch to see if anything comes up or does not come up.

ok. Left overnight and it woke up, gave me two notifications at the top left and a spinning beachball. Yay!!!! NOT. I do think it is the choice of screensavers. Not sure which one is the best one to use. 

@brocraig,

What I have found that can help to solve these sorts of problems is to roll over the various icons in the menu bar just to the left of the clock. Normally the app that is locking up will give you the spinning beach ball as you move your mouse over it. When you identify the offending app you can uninstall it and get in touch with the developer if they do not have a newer version that is compatible with the current version of macOS.

The ones that give me the spinning beachball is the wifi icon. i think i may have narrowed it down to the screensaver selection. I am using the "Flurry" one now and it seems like I have not had the odd freezing of the wifi that leads to me not being able to open or close an app or even shut down my Mac.

Share: